Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have my Garmin GPS HOCKED UP WITH MY cable and garmin

Customer Question

I have my Garmin GPS HOCKED UP WITH MY cable and garmin can't find it, in the mean time Windows sent me a notice that I need somekind of permision
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2009 Zumo for my motorcycle
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Zumo 550.AM
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GPS Technician should know?
Customer: Why is Windows saying I need permission?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What exactly does the error message about 'permission' say?

And, are you accessing with Garmin Express? if not, it would be right to try it using the Garmin Express program on your computer:

Go to

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.