Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a garmin nuvi 1490 which seems to be not calibrated.

Customer Question

I have a garmin nuvi 1490 which seems to be not calibrated. Touch screen doesn't work properly as per touching on screen prompts.cannot get all the way to try and reset??
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

When you say you cant get all the way to reset. Did you try the following yet?

Shut the nuvi down, now place one fingertip on the lower right hand corner of the touchscreen, then hold your finger there and power on the unit.. Keep holding your finger there till it asks you to reset all user data and then tap yes.

Have you tried those steps yet? If not, please try them now. If you have tried them, let me know what happens and how far youre able to get.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NOTHING! Tried multiple times. Just turns on and will not allow me to navigate All SCREEN touch options??
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Ok, lets try to enter calibrartion mode.

Start with the nuvi off, then press and hold the u pper left hand corner of the touchscreen with one finger.

Keep holding your finger there and power on the device.

Do you see two lines and a dot? If so, touch the dot and keep doing so till it stops showing you dots.

Let me know if this works, and whether or not you could make it to calibration mode.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NOTHING! Tried times again and will not go to calibration mode??
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Understood.

We need to either manually go into the garmin drive and delete this file

GUPDATE.GCD

Or, we need to use garmin express and update the software / firmware..

Or, if there are no updates available, we would need to force a firmware downgrade, and then calibrate the unit again.

The above are steps I could connect to your computer and do for you, if needed / desired.

Im assuming the unit wasnt dropped, nor did it get wet or was exposed to extreme humidity or heat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Unit was not damaged in anyway, and do not use very often. This is not worth my time or money . Will buy a new Garmin.Tks for your time and effort!No charges CORRECT?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Did you try looking for the GCDupdate file inside the nuvi?

And did y ou also try updating the unit with garmin express. Both s teps are something you can do within a few minuets and may fix the issue, or at least allow you to calibrate the unit.

Otherwise, if you do decide to go for a new unit make sure you get a LM model, as that will give you Lifetime maps which saves a ton of money down the road.

http://amzn.to/1Ueil8j

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried but cannot get into files in unit due to I guess calibration issue? Was already on express before contacting. Had a hard time connecting unit. Unit turned on but very hard to get out of maps outdated prompt on unit (calibration again? ) one update available done
No luck with unit issues of my unit. To much time spent. Have better things to do on/with my day off.Looking at the 2599lmt?Your thoughts on this unit??Tks again for your time and effort!
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

My thoughts are that if its a better investment of your time to get a new unit with a warranty, Id strongly su ggest one of the LM models like I sent you the link for earlier.

And as far as justanswer, this link may be of interest to you

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Apologies, as far as the 2599 lm unit, as long as you arent paying over 150$ for it, Its a solid model

http://amzn.to/23572CV

Its also compatible with the backup camera system, if thats something your interested in http://amzn.to/1U9hLvH

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see that I have ALREADY been CHARGED full Amount of $40 and not just the $5 goodwill deposit? ?Not Happy! !issue(s) not resolved without more time and money. Pls.advise ASAP! !
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

I already sent you the refund request link, here it is again.

On a side note, I have no control over when or how or what you are charged.. Im just a technician, but the link above will help you self process a refund.

Dustin S