GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

I bought a new Garmin dezl 760 model homes to guide

Customer Question

Hi I bought a new Garmin dezl 760 model for motor homes to guide navigation of our large motorhome which also tows a car on a trailer. An accurate GPS is essential for navigating across Europe and we purchased the top of the line model.
I put in the dimensions of the motor home and trailer and believe I set up the properties correctly. However the unit often seems to ignore the most straightforward route and instead takes us along country lanes. Sometimes it seems to take the best route other times we can make no sense of its directions. We bench marked it against Google maps and have found Google maps more accurate and logical in the route chosen. I have tried selecting the longest route and the shortest route without major improvement. Also when entering towns the unit requires a street address. Often we don't have one and are merely wanting the center of town there does seem to be a setting which allows this.
Is there perhaps an update I may not have? I need help in getting this system to work or I feel we will want to return it for a refund.
Regards Richard
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Hi there Richard. Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. I am also the proud owner of an rv. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. While, I don't have the exit Garmin that you have, I do have an APP that is supposed to calculate the best route for RVs and motorhomes. I suspect they work in a similar fashion. As Rv'ers we have special needs. We need to be steered away for low hanging underpasses and we need to take flat routes over very steep routes, etc. Sometimes I question the routes that the APP gives us, but if I take the route prescribed by google, I usually end up with a very clear idea of why the App didn't recommend that route. Having said that, let me check to see if there are any updates available for this device. Please give me a moment to research.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

There is an update available here - http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5883. This update was made available on February 16, 2016 The easiest way to install this update is to use the Garmin Express utility.

1. Turn your device on, and connect it to your computer with a USB cable. If your device came with an ANT Stick, turn your device on, and plug the ANT Stick into your computer's USB port.
  2. Download Garmin Express and install it on your computer. Download for Windows - Download for Mac
  3. Open the Garmin Express application and follow the prompts to set up and register your device. From here on, you'll use Garmin Express to install your device updates.

I have attached a copy of the user manual in pdf format just in case you need it.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

When your problem has been resolved, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

I apologize. I neglected to attach the manual. I've attached it here. Pleas elet me know if your device also has the backup camera. if so, I'll attach the manual for that model.