Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

We have updated our Gsrmin, and only get "Touch the dot" on

Customer Question

We have updated our Gsrmin, and only get "Touch the dot" on the screen, which proceeds to jump the dot to top, bottom, left and right, but gets us nowhere.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The previous message is all.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Zumo 350
JA: Is there anything else the GPS Technician should be aware of?
Customer: i have just updated the software and maps and now that it has finished all i get is a white screen with touch dot on it and when i touch the dot it moves around the screen. I've switched if off and on and put in in the cradle on my bike and nothing has helped
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think there is a cure for the problem: I have heard of your problem with the Garmin device before this, several times.

If, along with 'Press Dot', the screen on your Garmin Zumo also shows a black dot, then don't press it with your finger.... press it with the plastic tip or nub of a pen, and do so about 5 or 8 times, and it will resume normal operation.

The 'Press dot' cycle appears to be a screen calibration that runs after the battery has been removed in some circumstances, or otherwise in response to a crisis in the device that has been recovered from. Or, in your case, the device just having received an update. (A major update, I would guess, but an update anyway.)

I hope this works for you. Please let me know (or at least, rate my answer, if what I suggest gets it working.) Thanks.