Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Garmin HRM1B Heart Rate Monitor and I wore it

Customer Question

I have a Garmin HRM1B Heart Rate Monitor and I wore it swimming for the first time since I have owned it (8 years), and now it won't transmit correctly. I changed the battery (the compartment was not wet inside when I changed it, so I don't think water got in there), but it still doesn't seem to be working right. It transmits 59 when I'm doing something aerobic and I know my heart rate is much higher than that.
Is there anything I can do?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try a prolonged drying-out. It got thoroughly wet, even if only on the outside, after all.

Dry it out, unused, for at least 2 or 3 days in a dry warm place.

Then put it on and try it again.

This approach may actually help, since the battery compartment (and thus presumably the interior of the device) was not gotten wet, you know - if it had, you wouldn't have any device function at all. Instead, you have device function for sure, but it's a little off. Since it monitors your heart rate through external contact, if it were even slightly damp in places on its surface, this might be impeded and a lower-than-expected heart rate be measured as a result.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.)