Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

We have a GPSmap 276C used . Was working and now only the

Customer Question

We have a GPSmap 276C used for marine. Was working and now only the welcome page appears and we can not get beyond that page. Can not seem to know if battery is charged or not, same happens with external power or battery. What happening?
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

If the same thing happens with external or internal battery power, then I think it's not a matter of the power source causing it, at all.

Why not try updating it with Garmin Express? that often cures these sort of problems.

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

(If this helps with the problem and answers your question, please rate my answer. If there are any further problems, please Reply and let me know, and tell me how old the Garmin device in question is measured from its date of purchase ... and I'll offer further advice. Thanks.)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Russel H.
Downloaded Garmin Express and hooked up the device and it searches and can’t locate device. Noticing the power button, hold it down and the Welcome page comes on and then disappeared in a few seconds, so not sure if it goes to screen saver or it it just dies, no picture. So now what. Keep pressing power button and nothing happens, needs a rest and then eventually try again and same thing happens.

OK, I see. And I'm sorry to hear it.

If the device is not recognized by the computer, then either

A. it's dead inside, not alive enough to respond... in which case, the question is over, it's broken and needs either servicing or replacement.

B. the USB cable, or the USB port on the computer, is not quite 'alive' to devices connected by or to it/them. In which case, try a different USB port or two, and also a different USB cable if you have a spare. (USB ports on a computer can be genuinely different from each other. They are supposed to be utterly interchangeable, but in practice, they often differ in capability and response. So by all means try two other USB ports, preferably ones physically separated from the one you used before... they tend to run on a different cluster of circuitry when their physical separation on the case of the computer is a long distance.)

If you end up deciding to have the Garmin device repaired, let me know, please. Thanks.