Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have a Garmin 920xt forerunner and dosent work. If seems

Customer Question

I have a Garmin 920xt forerunner and dosent work. If seems that the back button is stuck in. Could you please help
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

How long have you owned the 920xt ?

Also, did it get wet recently or have anything spilled on it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Owned it for about 3 years and is certified for swimming
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

even with waterproof devices, if it had something with a lot of sugar spilled on it.. T hat can still make the buttons stick.

Also, just b ecause a device is waterproof doesnt mean that the seals dont eventually break down and let water in.

So I ask again, since the last time that button worked and now, has the device been wet, or had anything spilled on it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The last time I used it was about 8 months ago and that was after a long distance Lake swim. It's late now I can speak tomorrow morning your time
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Considering those devices still sell for a substantial amount new..

Its probably a good investment to let garmin repair it at about 25% of the cost of buying a new unit.. As most likely whats happened is the button 'fused' shut over the 9 months the device was sitting there.. This usually happens when the waterproof seal breaks even slightly and the device fills with water, and then the contacts inside the buttons rust and fuse together.

You can get the device repaired here at a flat rate of about 115$

Other then that.. Dismantling the watch and cleaning the contacts for each button with some wd 40 and then greasing them with silicone so they dont rust again may fix the issue. But if the terminals for the button contacts rusted through completely.. It doesnt matter how much you clean them if theres no closed circuit being made.

Repair, is most likely your only option ) other then replacing it outright (

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.