Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I'm having some trouble with my Garmin Edge 800 - speed is

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, i'm having some trouble with my Garmin Edge 800 - speed is constantly going up and down...
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: edge 800 - 2 years
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Although i'm riding at a steady pace, the speedometer is constantly going up and down - altitude meter sometimes disappears.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GPS Technician should know?
Customer: No, thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It sounds to me as if your speed sensor were being intermittent... either only some of the time communicating its sensing of revolutions of the wheel... or only some of the time sensing the wheel turning.

When it is sensing/transmitting, the speed registered on the Edge 800 goes up... when it is cut off again, the speed registered goes down.

This would be more likely, if you have observed the speed drop toward 0, then going up not much farther than the actual speed. If it has gone up to obviously above the real speed, ever, then that is a different sort of problem altogether.

So I advise you to adjust and inspect and re-mount your speed sensor. Change its batteries, and clean out the battery compartment in it with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol.

Then try it again.

If it still works only intermittently, then the speed sensor is no doubt defective, simply, and will need replacing.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The speed doesn't drop to 0, when i'm going like 15km/h, he's going from 13 to 17 and back
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** way, for your answer :)

Does my answer help, and inform you?

I think that even going up to 17 doesn't count as the other sort of problem. I still think it's the sensor.

If my answer really answers, please rate my work and my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, i'll have a look and try. Cheers.

Good. Let me know how it goes, if you care to.