Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

You are my last resort, so any help you can provide will be

Customer Question

You are my last resort, so any help you can provide will be very much appreciated. My Garmin is a nuvi 1390 (no longer in warranty). It worked well until one week ago. I had turned it on and waited "forever," but it never located a satellite, so I turned it off. Later, after making sure it was fully charged, I turned it on again, but this time I got only the Garmin logo on the screen. I've tried a hard reset and everything I could find out, but nothing works. Garmin Support told me that the unit was defective and that I could trade it in and get a new one at 20% off. Huh?! They didn't even make a single suggestion! Before I toss it, I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to revive it. I'm a very old guy (82), but I'm an electronics engineer, so I'm capable of repairing it if it can be fixed. Can you help?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. If the device has an SD card inside it, remove the sd card. Then, connect the garmin to your windows computer. Then launch garmin express. Can garmin express see the device listed and access it? If so, allow it to install any updates it finds.. Then, try hard resetting the unit again and seeing if it starts.. If it wont start, your going to have to use the garmincure program to try and downgrade the firmware, and then use garmin express to upgrade the firmware. Its a process, but almost always will fix the issue your having.. Here is a guide on how to use the garmin cure 3 tool, and this page also has links to download it. http://www.gpspower.net/garmin-receivers-firmwares/246273-garmincure3-tool-new-way-create-cure-firmwares-garmin-devices.html I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dustin, thanks for your speedy response; however, my device is not recognized by my computer, so it never enters the mass storage mode. As a result, I cannot download or install anything. Is there any hope at all?
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Did you remove the sd card? Also, did you download and install the garmin cure 3 program.. Sometimes, you momentarily see the garmin device when you very first turn it on for about 2 seconds. ( inside the garmin cures updater program ) If it shows even for a second, then you have a chance to click ok real fast to get it to send the firmware. Its a tricky process, but doable.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dustin, there is no removable SD card in the nuvi, so I did not download the Garmin Cure 3 program. Also, I'm not at all familiar with the "pre-boot" mode, so I have to respect the warning to not install the program.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dustin, early on you said "If the device has an SD card inside it, remove the sd card," but you made no suggestion when there ISN'T a card that can be removed. What then?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dustin, I've received two e-mails from you saying that you've answered my questions, but you seem to have ignored both of my messages above. How come?