Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Last year I called Garmin because my 498 would not download

Customer Question

last year I called Garmin because my 498 would not download satellite information. Boat was stored for 6 months. they gave me the steps to reset it and it worked fine. I forgot to wright it down. I will be putting the boat in this week again after it was stored for 6 months.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the GPS Technician should know?
Customer: are we still chatting?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. If the device hasnt been powered up or turned on for over six months, then youll definitely want to power the device up and make sure its working before you get out on the water. Id try a simple reset first, heres how to do it. Press and hold the power and the page button until the "accept" is highlighted. Then select accept and it will try to reset the device and reconnect to the sattelites. If that doesnt do the trick, then your data card inside the unit may be faulty.. You may need a new map card to get it to work normally, or at least a software update. If needed, you download the software update from t his page.. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4769# But most of the times, the reset I mentioned will do the trick I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.