Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

Garmin Support. I am new to CB RIDING in groups of motorcycles

Customer Question

Hi Garmin Support.
I am new to CB RIDING in groups of motorcycles though I am a senior citizen and have been riding 50+ years but never on cross country trips. I require your help in choosing the RIGHT GARMIN GPS model for my needs.
I have invested much time and expense in my bike by adding a wired intercom system by J&M Company with installed ear phones and microphones in my helmet plus my passengers helmet. I/we can converse with each other and the whole group of riders. We also enjoy listening to recorded music and books via MP3 player while riding. The music automatically mutes when anyone keys their CB TO TALK.
I need a Garmin GPS that will communicate THROUGH my J&M intercom like my MP3 player does. I have learned through much investigation that the ZUMO Models are designed for motorcycles which is great. However I need to know WHICH Of the numerous ZUMO MODELS will work with my particular intercom set up.
Bluetooth is great - but I don't have that capability in my current setup - so I need a GPS that can be wire through my intercom along with my MP3 player OR have a MP3 player as a feature of the GPS.
Thank you,
William Brune.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The Zumo models do have built-in MP3 file playing capability.Two of them seem best suited: the Zumo 395LM and the Zumo 595LM.I'm not sure what plug system your J&M company intercom uses, but if it's the same 1/32 inch standard audio plug, apparently that will do: that's the output-to-headphones plug on these models of Zumo. You can output from the Zumo, to whatever 1/32-inch audio plug input your J&M intercom has on it, by that means, by a simple cheap audio patch cable... or if the sound input type on the J&M intercom is more fancy or odd than that, an adapter cable of whatever sort should do it. The 595LM is more expensive by several hundred dollars than the 395LM, of course. The 595LM is the higher-end model, but the features you want are in the 395LM for sure. And the Garmin mapping features are ideal on either of those Garmin Zumo models, for motorcycle tripping especially.Those two Zumo models are summed up on this page, they're the two last ones down the page: If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.