Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My Garmin 920XT will only turn on when on charger. When

Customer Question

Hi my Garmin 920XT will only turn on when on charger. When disconnected from the charger it turns off and won't turn back on. Can you help?? Thanks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Is there anything else the GPS Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no just keen to get my 920XT up and runningagain. thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,Your symptoms indicate that the built-in battery is no longer holding sufficient charge, and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is that normal as the watch is only 4 weeks old and has hardly been used at all?? It seemed to have happened when I updated the operating software??
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
No, that isn't normal for a 4 week old watch.Is there no sign of life at all from the watch when the charger is disconnected?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no life at all. It just turns itself off as soon as it's disconnected my my pc
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
The only thing you can try is a reset if it has locked up during charging, but this shouldn't apply if it works when connected to the computer.To do a reset, hold down the "Mode" and "Reset" buttons at the same time and then press the "Power" button to turn the watch on. Let me know if that works?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
mode is bottom left button. what is the reset button?? do you mean the back button??
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Ok, try the following:a. Hold POWER BUTTON on for 15 seconds. The device should hopefully start to turn off.b. Press and hold UP ARROW BUTTON and DOWN ARROW BUTTONc. Press but don’t hold the POWER BUTTON for a second or so – device should turn ond. Wait for 1st beep then release UP ARROW BUTTONe. Wait for 2nd beep then release DOWN ARROW BUTTON