Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My 178c Sounder will not acquire Satalites

Customer Question

Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Is there any corrosion on the antenna wires? also, theres a chance you are stuck in simulator mode, do you see anything on screen mentioning gps off or simulation or demo mode? Also, have you tried completely unplugging the device from power.. leaving it off for a few minutes and turning it on, as that would exit it from simulator mode normally. Dustin S
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The boat is 75 miles away at a moorage btw... . No there was/is no corrosion of any sort..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NOt stuck in simulator mode.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh and I did leave it unplugged for a few minutes ..3 times.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.
Understood.. Whens the last time youve tried to update the software? I ask because this is one of two issues with the info you have provided.. Either your antenna has failed, or you need a software update. Updating the device isnt the easiest process, but you can get the software needed from this page And you may want to consider a new antennae, just to rule that out~ you can get a discount antennae here Dustin S