Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My garmin will not allow me to chose Washington state as a

Customer Question

my garmin will not allow me to chose Washington state as a location (I li
ve there)
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well every time I try to change the state soon as I type W to goes right to Wy or West VA...never Washington
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GPS Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
It sounds like your west coast maps inside the garmin are either damaged, or removed. So what you need to do is connect your garmin to your computer, launch garmin express, and reinstall the west coast or lower 48 states region so that you will be able to utilize the maps for the area you want. This link below will help you with that task If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know! I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did what you suggested a while ago and that did not fix the issue. I'm locked into California and it will not change ... I've even started over with default factory settings ... I'll contact the manufactur or ask one of our techs at work. I'm an engineer at the Boeing company's .. We have a few techs around the avionics shop
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
When you say you did what I suggested a while ago. What region did you choose for the maps? And also, are you running more then one map on the device? Or just the north american map?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm going to Harmon for a fix your suggestion didn't work or any others I've tried ... Keep the 5 bucks but I want refund on balance
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
You cant realistically expect anyones first suggestion to be right, 100% of the time. Its also your right to seek help elsewhere, and good luck to you! Dustin S.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not blaming you at all I think the issue is bigger Garmin should fix ... Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I see that during your short conversation with Dustin, that you did not mention the following items:1) The Model Number of your device.2) The AGE of the device.3) If you had CHECKED to see what maps were actually installed on the device currently. By the way, for most devices, there is either a "Map Info" screen or a "MyMaps" screen ON the device - that will show us EXACTLY what maps are installed, and the "date" of the maps. I did see that you "TRIED something" - but am not clear on exactly what was tried. If you want to discuss this a bit more, please look at the above items and try to respond as best you can to those items. NOTE: A response of "I don't know" or "can't find that" is a perfectly acceptable response, as we can usually find "other ways" to help you find the details. And it is always good to know WHY something like this is happening - so it can be avoided in the future. We can probably do that for you.BUT, if you do get help elsewhere, please consider coming back here and letting us know what was found, and what the "fix" is/was. We always like to know what happens - as an end result or fix. Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.