Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Have a Garmin, tried to charge with car charger. Turns on &

Customer Question

Have a Garmin, tried to charge with car charger. Turns on & 15 seconds if, turns off .
The rep from here said to charge via computer & USB cord & PORT into laptop but get same answer
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi Richard,How old is the Garmin device?Does it turn on if you press and hold the power button whilst it is connected to any charger?If it does not, then you will need to try a master reset to clear out any corrupt data.Let me know the model number of the device if you need further assistance with this.thanks!Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Same issue as last time . Garmin opens for 7 seconds even after charging on laptop with USB port.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Does this still happen after you have done a master reset?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is a master reset. The unit is 2-3 yrs old. I held the black button for 20 seconds roughly, still does same thing . I Had charged it overnight thru the USB connection but it still goes to black dead screen within 10 seconds . I guess it needs a battery? Have been told battery costs about $30 . That I'm willing to put into but if it's 100.00 than no , it's not worth to fix.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
To do a master reset on the Garmin 2797LM, see the following video guide:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_-zumajbaA
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Bought battery from AmaZon, be here tomorrow or Fri, but also purchased little tool kit to access the back . Not sure if u or my first guy sent me a YouTube video to replace battery. Hopefully that All it is . 13.99 for battery, & 12.00 for tool kit.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Yes, that should do the trick!Thanks for the update, Pete.