Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

JA: . How can we help? Customer: i have a Garmin Nuvi

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: i have a Garmin Nuvi 55 and i have paid and down loaded a map .....
JA: We do not provide free answers, but the Experts charge a fraction of their Face-to-Face category: medical specialty: mental health price on JustAnswer. You have to make the payment yourself. Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: however, i keep getting the message "cannot unlock maps"
JA: Is there anything else the GPS Technician should be aware of?
Customer: i am using the nuvi with a SD card ....the new map is on the SD card
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi
when can i expect a response
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,If your Nuvi 55 device displays the message "Can’t Unlock Maps", then it has detected a map that cannot be validated for use with that device.This can be caused by:1. Installing a memory card that contains maps intended for a different device2. Copying maps from one device to another3. A problem with the data in the map file4. Incorrect or missing unlock information for an installed map To resolve these issues:If a memory card is inserted into the device, remove the card and restart the device. If the error message no longer displays, there is a locked map on the memory card.If the memory card was previously used in another device, there are most likely maps installed to the card that are only unlocked to the previous device. The maps will either need to be deleted or reinstalled for the current device to unlock them.Maps may have been installed to the memory card with MapInstall or MapSource that were not unlocked for the device. Unlock the maps for the device on the computer and then reinstall them to the memory card.If these situations do not apply or the issue is not resolved, proceed to the following steps.If the issue occurred as a result of updating the maps, ensure that Garmin Express is up to date and reinstall the maps. If the device is being updated on a Windows computer, be sure to use the Safely Remove Hardware option after the update has completed. Even though the update appears to complete, the write-caching feature on some computers may have not completely built or transferred the map to the device. If this message is displayed after installing a Downloadable Content (DLC) map, reinstall the map and try again. If maps have not been installed or updated recently, update the maps using Garmin Express if an update is available.Maps may have been installed to the device with MapInstall or MapSource that were not unlocked for the device. Unlock the maps for the device on the computer and then reinstall them to the device. Let me know if that works for you?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?