Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

A Garmin GPSmap 296 came with an airplane I bought. I would

Customer Question

A Garmin GPSmap 296 came with an airplane I bought. I would like to update the database, especially as the configuration of the nearby Seattle Class B airspace has been changed.
Where do I find the serial number and system identification of my unit?
There is a bar coded sticker on the back of the unit that reads:*10C001513*. Is this significant?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi Brendan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where's my answer, Pete?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't wish to speak with you by phone! What is this, a scam?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Forget it! I'm not going to pay the credit card bill when it arrives. This is a scam!!!
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for replying back to me.You were offline when I responded earlier.Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
(you can ignore any automated offers of a phone call)
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
The serial number is ***** digits long and is located on the back of the unit, below the battery compartment.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
This is also known as the Unit ID or System ID, and is unique to your GPS unit.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
The serial number (system identification) can also be a 9 digit alphanumeric number, which appears to be the case with your unit.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
If the ID sticker is missing or defaced, you can still find out the unit ID number using MapSource - see this demo:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9r1ng1t9mw
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no number on the back of my unit under the battery compartment (or in the battery compartment for that matter) -- except the bar-coded number stuck on there, which is more than 8 digits long, and which is not recognized by Garmin. It's the number with a "C" in it that I mentioned in my question
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
In that case it is likely that you have a 9 digit alphanumeric number.If it does not work for you, please try the MapSource method to confirm that you have the correct ID number for your unit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And what, pray tell, is the "map source" method? I also need the System ID number, by the way.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete: You have been no help whatsoever. In fact, you have only confused the issue. Don't bother trying anymore, just see that I am not charged for this "order number" 16269931-667
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
The System ID number is ***** same as the serial number.The video link I posted previously show how to use Garmin's free MapSource software to obtain the ID number.If you don't already have MapSource, you can get it from http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209