Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

My nuvi shuts down repeatedly when pligged into cigarette lighter.

Customer Question

My nuvi shuts down repeatedly when pligged into cigarette lighter. I see an orange plug-into computer symbol. It doesn't do this if I disconnect, restart, and operate off the battery
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: garmin 2595 LM
JA: Is there anything else the GPS Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I updated it about two weeks ago--but the problem began a few days before that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Depending upon when, and how, the Garmin Nuvi shuts down when on cigarette lighter power, you may have a defective cigarette lighter adapter (or one that needs to be cleaned, possibly)... or, you may have a defective battery perhaps, if your Garmin is old enough and if other symptoms match. So please tell me: how old is the Garmin? and how soon does the shutting-down happen and is anything on the screen when it shuts down?