Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My Garmin 810 will not shut off. I am disassembling it now.

Customer Question

My Garmin 810 will not shut off. I am disassembling it now. Is there any other option?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The Garmin 810 hangs on loading maps with the Garmin splash screen displayed
JA: Is there anything else the GPS Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The software version was updated through my Garmin connect session a few weeks ago, and the update seems to have failed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess the lack of a subscription makes this a long wait.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,Try holding the power button in for 20 seconds.If that does not work then the button has likely failed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did and it hung on loading maps again.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Ok, so first you said it will not shut off. Now you say it is hanging on loading maps - are you seeing two different problems with the device?Will it shut off for you when you press and hold the power button?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The message is the same. Loading maps. The device did not reset. I held the power button for a minute, and there was no change.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Ok, so the device is stuck on loading maps - have you tried updating the software using Garmin Express?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try that. Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.
Let me know how it works out!Pete.