Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

My dezl 760lm will not connect to my computer. I have tried

Customer Question

My dezl 760lm will not connect to my computer. I have tried to hard reset but it will not. It will not load maps or turn on. It keeps restarting from the Garmin screen. Is there another way to hard restore or do I have to send it back to the company?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) What is the AGE of the device?2) WHEN did this issue first begin?3) What "hard reset" was attempted (what were the conditions and steps)?Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I purchased the Garmin in 2012. The issue started when I tried to install 4 updates. Only one took. I am on Software version 5.30. It would not install maps. Then it started not being able to connect to the computer. It keeps going to the startup screen and when it tries to load maps it automatically restarts and restarts and restarts. I have held my finger in the lower right corner of the screen while starting and all I get is system...system...system. Then after a while it says loading but then immediately goes to restart and the process begins all over again.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information. Can you tell me the approximate DATE that this all started?And do you remember the state of the battery charge, when starting that update process?Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yesterday, 4/29/16 and the battery was fully charged.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
OK - Let me have you try a DIFFERENT hard reset (or Master Reset) on your device. I have those steps below. 1) START with the device OFF and unplugged from any power source.NOTE: On the Dezl series devices, VERIFY the device is powered OFF (and NOT in "standby mode") by pressing and HOLDING the power button UNTIL prompted to turn OFF the device.2) Power ON the device.3) When the FIRST COPYRIGHT SCREEN APPEARS, press and HOLD the lower right corner of the touch screen (not the frame).4) KEEP HOLDING the screen until you see the prompt to "erase all user data", then release the screen.5) Touch the YES button on the screen. Please let me know if you can get the device to reset - or even see the "Erase data" prompt - using those steps. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cannot VERIFY that the device is OFF. Only the Garmin logo appears and then the screen goes black. I went to step 2 but the FIRST COPYRIGHT SCREEN does not appear.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
OK - does that mean that when you push and HOLD the power button, that you do NOT get a prompt to power off? As an example, please take a look at the first part of the following video. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yes. I held the button and only the Garmin screen comes up then goes to a black screen again.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hmm - that's not good. Can you now try pushing and HOLDING the power button - for up to a full 90 seconds (1.5 minutes)? This is what is sometimes referred to as a "long soft reset", and the screen MAY turn ON & OFF a couple of times during the process, so be ready for that. NOTE: If these resets do NOT get it going again, the device may need to be returned for repair. If that is the case, may I ask your approximate location - to see if hand carrying the device is a possibility (vs. shipping)? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I held the button for 2 min and at about 1.75 I heard a static sound from the speaker but it did not reset or give the the option to turn off. When I power on now it still only goes to the Garmin screen without the FIRST COPYRIGHT. I am located in Venice, FL. About 15 miles south of Sarasota, 60 miles south of Tampa, and 70 north of Ft. Meyers.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
OK - the repair center is near Kansas City, KS, so hard carrying the device is out. So let me give you a link to the "out of warranty" repair page, so you can get a quote and see the steps needed before the device can be sent in for repair. Just select your device model from the pull down list (to get the quote), and then scroll down the page to see the rest of the process (getting the "numbers" to include on the package - so it will be accepted when delivered to the repair center). Click here --> Sorry we couldn't get the device going again here online, but sometimes these things happen and repair or replacing the device are the only choices left. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions. Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.