Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

How do I view current location UTM co - ords without using

Customer Question

How do I view current location UTM co - ords without using the way point function? I can't seem to find a dash board that displays this?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?2) The AGE of the device?Thanks(im)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Magellan Explorist 610, 2 - 2yrs old.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You would presume it would be simple enough to have your current location (eastings & northings) displayed continually in real time, on screen without having to add a way point??
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information. OK - let me look that up and see if and where that may be set. Back soon.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, OK - I don't have this particular model with me right now, so I can not VERIFY these "settings", but here is what I believe you will need to do. Go to the "Settings" screen.Select "Navigation"Select the PRIMARY Coordinate System drop down & select the desired system.Also in the Navigation section, there is a Primary Coordinate Type drop down. I believe between those two (System & Type), you should be able to select UTM and have that display on the screen - as the default mode of display. Please give these settings a try and let me know your results. In the mean time, I will see if I can find more precise information about these settings. Cheers, *****(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, As a reference, I found a short video (about 2.5 minutes, but no sound) that goes through the Basic Settings of this unit. At about the 1:30 mark they show the Navigation Settings, and the different "Coordinate System" pull-down options, where I did see the UTM as second on the list (at about 1:40 mark).. Please take a look and let me know if you have the same options on your device.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Greg,
No such term as co-ordinate 'type' in the Nav menu. In any case there is no option there to actually display on a dash board. The main menu has various types of data display but only for bearing, speed, altitude, distnace etc. I need a box for co-ordinates.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
You're quite welcome Nick. The coordinate "type" is only in the Settings/Navigation screens, as shown in the video I referenced - and between about 1:30 & 1:50 times. But I now see that you were/are more interested in having the coordinates shown on a DASHBOARD display (in whatever format). Again, I don't have one of these units available to me right now to TEST, but IF the coordinates are available for display, I would think they could be placed on one of the dashboards - by "Customizing the Data Fields" of a particular dashboard. Just in case you do NOT have the manual for this device available, I have a link to the electronic (PDF) version of the manual for you below. Click Here for manual --> Starting on page 11 of that manual (page 24 of PDF), there are details about the dashboards, and page 13 (26 of PDF) are the details about "Customizing Data Fields". From looks of it, you will want to follow the four steps at the bottom right of page 13 to Display the dashboard you want to CHANGE, tap the field you want to change, SELECT the type of data you want to change it to (assume "coordinate(s)" here - if available), display changes to reflect the new data field you selected.NOTE: The "coordinate" data field may NOT be available on a particular dashboard - or any dashboard. Please give that a try and let me know your results - when you can. Thanks, ***** *****(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)