Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Stop working shown "waiting valid GPS signal

Customer Question

stop working shown "waiting for a valid GPS signal
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I presume you have a GPS device. If you are indoors, a failure to acquire a signal could mean that the building, or parts within its walls such as metal studding, might be interfering with the signal. If that seems to be the case, turn it Off, take it outside, into a open space with no tall building nearby if possible, and turn it On there, and wait 5 minutes. If it does not acquire a signal even in those circumstances, it has probably suffered an electronic failure relative to the radio circuitry. But tell me a bit more about the device:- maker and model #- how old it is- has it had problems before- has any update or map install been done on it recently- has it been dropped, used in hot temperatures (or left in a car with windows closed that got quite hot) or otherwise subjected to stress such as getting wet or getting below freezing point while turned On ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Model :Tom***** *****ve
about 2 years old
no update of map
it stopped working last week while driving
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it was left in the car all along
Did the car get hot? above 95 degrees F. or so, for longer than a half hour or so?If so, it may have been damaged, unfortunately, and have failed much sooner than its possible working lifetime, I'm sorry to say.At 2 years old it is out of the basic warranty period offered by TomTom, for sure.It could be repaired, at a cost to you since it is out of warranty, or you could replace it. That's the choice that's left (after you try it out in an open space, of course.)