Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

What does it cost to update a Garmin nuvo JA: You just pay

Customer Question

What does it cost to update a Garmin nuvo
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the GPS Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Do you have an estimated total cost
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I purchased this used from a friend and do not want to spend a lot of money on it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GPS Technician should know?
Customer: Just a senior citizen and never had one before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.The cost to update device depends on a few factors, such as model number, age, and what you want to update FROM and TO.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) The FULL Model Number of the device you are working with? If you are not sure, please look for the Serial Number and send it back to me (the serial number is ***** printed right next to a "bar code" or "QR code)2) The AGE of the device?3) What is the STATUS of the device now (does it work properly, does the internal battery last for a period of time, etc.)?Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nuvo 255w
1TV008333
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information. What about the AGE of the device - and the STATUS?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not know the age. I did not find any other info on the device
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.
Of those two questions, the STATUS of the device is the most important.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only info on the device is Garmin nuvi on front and nuvo 255w on the back and then the info. 1TV008333
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No idea on age. If it is real old, should I upgrade. Your opinion
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, I understand the model and serial number, so that is fine.For me to know if you should upgrade,Let me now ask you:1) What is the STATUS of the device? Does it operate well for you and have you tried using it yet?2) WHERE do you plan on using this device (only in the U.S., or other parts of the world)? Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.
NOTE: I do see your call request, and I CAN try to call you. But please confirm that you want that call.AND if possible, let me know the answers to the two above questions. Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please cancel our entire conversation and confirm via return msg that no charges are being made to my credit card. I will contact the person I bought it from and decide if I want to invest in having it updated. Thank you and sorry if I caused you any inconvenience
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, We experts here have NO ACCESS to ANY of your account information, including any deposits that may have been made. We can ONLY correspond with you on these pages.You may be able to handle anything related to your account using the "My Account" link on your side of the system. Please let me know if you change your mind about updating the device, as I believe I can get you that information. Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, I noticed that your question remained open so I wanted to provide the following information - in case you still need it. If I assume that1) the device is still in good working order and2) you want to update the maps for North America (what should have come with the unit originally). I have a couple of links below where you can get either a "Lifetime" update of the maps OR a "One Time" map update (to the current maps), along with the approximate cost of each. >> Click Here for Lifetime Maps << ~$90 >> Click Here for One Time Map Updates<< ~$50 In either case, I would also recommend purchasing and installing a 4GB or 8GB SD card in the device - to hold the current LARGER maps. This is because the maps have GROWN in content over the years, and most likely need to have that memory card installed to hold them. I have a link to where you can find 8GB SD cards below (Amazon search results). 8GB SD card SEARCH Resultshttp://amzn.to/1MIsupu I hope this helps answer your question(s). Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions regarding this issue. Thanks, *****(im)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just cancel my call and after I decide, I will call back if I want to use your service. Thank you
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, As mentioned earlier: We experts here have NO ACCESS to ANY of your account information, including canceling of a question.We can ONLY correspond with you on these pages.YOU may be able to handle anything related to your account using the "My Account" link on your side of the system. Please let me know if you need any more information about updating your device. Thanks, ***** *****(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)