Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have a new Garmin Edge 810. it does a fine job of reading

Customer Question

I have a new Garmin Edge 810. it does a fine job of reading out speed, distance etc. However, when I push the map icon, it shows no map at all. It shows an arrow (presume that it is my location) and tracks a path along the screen but shows no map of the area at all. I thought the 810 at least came with a basemap?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I would return your Garmin Edge as defective from the factory or from the store. (If the package looked the least bit re-closed, then the maps may have been wiped by a careless former purchaser, for instance.) This, esp. if nothing in the initial set-up instructions says anything about having to buy 'additional maps' or 'maps not included' or 'map file needed'. If nothing of the sort is said, the map is supposed to be included and it is missing! (Unless, of course, anything is mentioned in your instructions about 'free maps for lifetime' or the like... in which case you may need to do an initial install of them, but even so you need instructions.) Re-package in original packaging, return to store or vendor, and mention why. At least they should give you a refund or an exchange for an equivalent or equal Garmin device... provided that you have not run out of the return/exchange period which is short, so do this ASAP.