Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

How do I load Canadian maps onto nuvi57LM?

Customer Question

Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) What is the AGE of the device?2) WHERE was the device purchased?3) Is the device still working well - using the maps that are already installed (US maps)?Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, I didn't see a response from my questions, but want to send the following information before I sign off for the evening. FIRST - I asked the above questions so I could find out if it might be possible to return the unit for a similar device that contains BOTH US and Canada maps (such as the Nuvi 56LM).But if that is not a possibility (due to age or distance from the original seller), the steps to load the Canada maps on the Nuvi 57LM (which comes with ONLY the US maps), is relatively easy. The first step would be to make sure you REGISTER your device with an email address that you use all the time. This can be done using the Garmin Express program - which is the program that is used to UPDATE the device software and maps that came with it. I have a link to where you can get that program for your computer below. There is even a short video on that page that shows how to get started with the program. Click here for Garmin Express--> Once you have that program installed and have registered your device and added it to that program, you MAY want to update the device software AND the current maps. NOTE: That may take a LONG TIME (an hour or more) - depending on the speed of your internet connection and your computer speed. Once any updates are done and the device is TESTED (to make sure it is still working well), then you could purchase the maps from the following Garmin page. NOTE: Make sure you use the SAME EMAIL you used to register the device, so that any new maps are added to your account properly. >> Click here for Canada maps << NOTE: You may notice that maps can be purchased as a download OR as pre-programmed maps on a microSD/SD card. Of course downloaded maps can be put on the device FASTER than waiting for a memory card to be sent to you, but pre-programmed cards are much easier to install. So if you choose the download, those will be added to your account, and then the next time you start up Garmin Express and connect your device, it should be available for downloading and installing on your device. That is the basics of what can be done to get Canada maps on your device - assuming you can't easily exchange your unit for another one. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions. If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)