Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Madam I have a VIA 280 and I have been having problems

Customer Question

Dear sir/Madam
I have a VIA 280 and I have been having problems with it, it started by not giving me a GPS signal, then I had to switch it on manually every time. I have been updating the device when notified, on the last update the GPS screen showed - No Maps Found, it has life time maps.
Please help me the unit I think is out of warranty, do I need to send it in for repair, and roughly how much is it likely to cost ? If I need to buy a new unit is there any way that you could help me on the cost if I go for a later model . This is my second TomTom GPS.
i am a pensioner and it would be much appreciated.
Regards *****
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Before we consider replacing the unit, lets try some last ditch repair attempts first. The first thing we want to try is pressing and holding the power button for about 20 seconds, you should hear a drum roll sound, and it should turn off, then back on. After that.. test the unit.. If its still able to find a gps signal. Then next, go into the settings, advanced settings of the device and tap the f actory reset icon. Once that has completed, connect the tomtom to your computer and try to update it again. Then, test it .. If its still not getting a gps signal then its probably time to replace the unit. This model is slightly older, but still newer then your via 280.. Its brand new in the box, It has lifetime maps at a decent price, and a 5" screen. ( a little less the half the cost of this years models ) http://amzn.to/23V3qEf Hopefully, your able to get a little more life out of your current TomTom with the resets I mentioned. if you have any further questions Merv, let me know. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi DustinSorry I haven't got back to you, however I will email you after I have tried the extra tests.
Regards Merv
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the reply Merv, Dustin S.
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Hello again Merv.. I just wanted to check back with you as its been a couple of days.. Have you had a chance to try the steps I mentioned? Did you still need help? Thank you for your reply, Dustin S.