MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have 12 years of experience servicing all GPS models.
11519491

I received a message stating that i needed to update my

Customer Question

I received a message stating that
i needed to update my Garmin. I went to update it and was informed that
i did not have enough memory to up date my Garmin. I selected the
southeast as my area to use. Once it was completed I disconnected and attempted to use my Garmin . I got a message that
system software is missing. I have two Garmins.One is nte
nuvi 205 which is the newest and the one not working. I purchased a life time update for both Garmins but
i cannot get the 205 to update or work Serial 1S8239505 *************
Category: GPS
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your Garmin 205 ?Also did you format it with FAT ? Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All
I can tell you is that it is several years oldI formatted it with
garmin never heard of FAT.
Thank you FAT is a format method available on that unit but if you ever use it you will never again be able to update the unit;-(I just had to be sure.In your case however its a memry issue, but not an out of memory problem but rather a hardware issue. You have a failed memory IC and that is why you get the operating system missing error. I wish I had better news for you on that. I really do, it can be repaired by Garmin if you want to spend that much. But you can buy a new one with more capabilities for less than that one cost years ago.Thats what I would do in this case. But if you want to send it in for repair please let me knwo and I will tell you how to set up the repair ticket and who to contact for this.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.SincerelyTech Michael