Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

Garmin 5212 gps stuck. Still shows me at the boat ramp. Little

Customer Question

Garmin 5212 gps stuck. Still shows me at the boat ramp. Little boat on the screen flashing ?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Any tips?
JA: Anything else I can tell the GPS Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: My garmin 5212 God is stuck. Still shows the boat at the boat ramp. The little boat on the screen just shows eight flashing?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.To help you with this issue, may I ask:1) The AGE of the device?2) WHEN this issue first began?3) What type of antenna is being used for this device? I only ask because a "flashing" position indicator usually means that the device does NOT have a satellite signal lock, and is TRYING to find the signals.Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2009 I believe.
Problem started yesterday.
The antenna is a small White don't with Garmin written on it mounted on the console
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information. I assume some "auto correct" got you and said "don't" when you meant "dome" - so I will go with that. What I would first check is the CABLE CONNECTIONS from the DOME and leading to the 5212. And also check that there is no DAMAGE (cracks & such) to that dome. I know that may be difficult to trace the cables, so start that the 5212 itself by removing the connector and examining the contacts - for any corrosion & otherwise dirty connections. If everything looks good there, trace the cable back to the dome as best you can, inspecting the cable for any kinks or damage. Hopefully you don't have a damaged antenna or some kind of failure within the device itself.Also, if you have access to a DIFFERENT compatible antenna, that is another good way to TEST if this is the device or the antenna. Please let me know what you find - when you can. Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I replaced The antenna on it and it did not fix the problem I also used the new cable. I don't know what to check now.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again and thanks for letting me know what was tried. May I ask:1) If you inspected the connectors AT the unit, and if so, did you find ANY "corrosion" or "dirt" on the connector pins?2) Have you tried a "Master Reset" of the device yet? If not, the procedure to do that is shown at the following link.NOTE: Assuming the device still operates in other areas (screen), make sure you back up any data you want to keep - BEFORE the reset. Click Here for Master Reset Procedure -->{6cf2ccf0-f10b-11df-ea12-000000000000} Please let me know what you find. NOTES:- If you find that the reset does not help the device to function again, I will let you know that Garmin does still offer "repair" of this device - even though it has been "discontinued". You can get a quote and see how the process works at the following link. Once there, simply select the model of the device ()GPSMAP 5212) from the pull-down list, and then scroll down the page to see the process to get the repair started.- If you have a good "marine electronics" shop in your area, some will offer repairs OR exchange for the same or similar device. So you may want to call around or visit such a shop (assuming available). Thanks, ***** *****(im)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I do the master reset
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Please use the link above to see the procedure.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Here is that link again - if you need it. Click Here for Master Reset Procedure -->{6cf2ccf0-f10b-11df-ea12-000000000000} And here is the link to the Garmin repair page, which seems to be missing from my previous message.