Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I purchased the Garmin Epix and have an issue with downloading

Customer Question

I purchased the Garmin Epix and have an issue with downloading maps. I was able to download from Open Street Map an area of LA for hiking. Now (a couple of weeks later), I tried to download a different area. It is not letting me download the new map to Garmin BaseCamp.
I'm able to download the gmap file to the computer. Garmin MapManager asks me if I want to install it and I click the install button. It takes a few seconds, says it's installed, but I don't see it on the MapManager list. I checked the BaseCamp Maps, and it doesn't show up there. Only the one I downloaded weeks ago. Not sure if I missed a step.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
Hi Siobhan,First, you need to convert the .osm file to a Garmin map image file (.img). You can use Mkgmap or GroundTruth for this. Let me know if you have already done that?Pete.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete,
Sorry for the delayed answer. I thought your message would go to my email account. I downloaded the Mkgmap application. What's next?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
Once you have completed this step, simply add the converted map to the device as you would previously have done.Pete.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yea, when I double click the .img file to open via the MKGMAP app, it just opens this wide arrange of files within MKGMAP. Not sure which one to pick.
.typ
.mdx
.xml
two other files listed as 63240000_mdr & Product1
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
All of these files are required to work together to display the mapset.For example the TYP File holds the information about how map objects are displayed.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things work out for you?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Honestly, all that's happened is I just ended up downloading another app that I either don't know how to use, or doesn't work with my MAC. I still haven't been able to add tiles/maps to my Basecamp app.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
What format are the maps now in?Are they in a zipped folder, or unzipped?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the map saved on my desktop under different labels:
.gmap (when I double click, opens Map Manager, says it installed it, but there's a glitch b/c it doesn't show up in Map Manager)
.gmapi (not recognized by Map Manager)
a folder labeled .gpx (opens box with a bunch of files to choose from)
a folder labeled .img (opens box with a bunch of files to choose from)
Not sure what zip file looks like, but I'm guessing it's the .gpx & .img extensions
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
The map must be in the Garmin .img file format so that it can be loaded onto the watch.Try the following conversion software to make your map files:http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/