Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Just bought Garmin drive 60lmt. I was recently hired by USPS

Customer Question

Just bought Garmin drive 60lmt. I was recently hired by USPS as rural delivery driver with a 90 mile route. I want to record route as I drive it and pull it up later to follow. How do I do it?
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am GPS illiterate and need all the help I can get.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is the only reason I bought a GPS. My other vehicles have navigation but not using them to deliver mail. I will be doing multiple routes so it is necessary to be able to pull each one up when I need it. Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer, Sorry to hear of any trouble you are having getting to know your device. I see you mentioned that you are "GPS illiterate" but that you have OTHER vehicles with navigation (I assume included). So may I ask how "comfortable" you are are using the navigation systems of the other vehicles? May I also ask the approximate number of routes you have AND the number of stops along each? OR - instead of the number of stops, how many MAJOR TURNS (or intersections) are along the longest route? One more thing: Did you get the FULL Owner's Manual with this system, or just a "Quick Start" guide? Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Quick start guide
Navigation included and good with using them, but usually don't use them cause I know where going usually. When I do use in other vehicles just put in address and go. This is a little different in the fact I'm not using a defined destination per se. I start and end same place. There are about 350 boxes I stop at and too many turns to count. I had it recorded once but in trying to pull it back up to follow it, lost it. I probably deleted it by mistake. I guess what I'm trying to do do is overlay my recorded track on map to follow it again. I'm planning on putting around 10 different routes in memory.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
OK - are you aware of:- The "trip planner" feature of this device and- The Garmin Program called BaseCamp?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not really
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've seen trip planner but thought it was for planning a trip
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
OK - first let me say that this WILL take a little time to get to know this system and the features of it. AND YES - the trip planner if for planning a "trip" - but you can have multiple "trips" stored in the device, and can name them anything you want. What a trip really is - is a ROUTE. OR really its a group of predetermined "waypoints" (a GPS term), with the directions between each of these points. Does that make sense so far?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
OK - and BaseCamp is a program that allows you to make "routes" (and waypoints), and transfer them between the computer and device, or the other way around. Now you mentioned "recording" one of these route before ... was that on THIS device, and did you VIEW that route ON the device - via displaying the "trip log"?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Displaying trip log
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On this device
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
OK - so if you viewed this trip log, then the trip MAY still be on the device - but just not being displayed anymore. So to get started with this, let me send you the link to the FULL manual for the device. This is a PDF document which you can view on most computers and other devices (tablet, smart phone, etc.), but let me know if the manual does NOT display when you click the link. http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Drive_40-50-60_OM_EN.pdf Let me know if that link works for you - to display the manual. NOTE: This is just "step one"...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Question. How long am I able to chat with u, as its 10pm here and I get up at 5am to go to work. After I record route again tomorrow , can we continue this
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think I may have downloaded that already, kinda hard to understand alot of it, or at least find what I'm looking for
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
We can continue or conversation for as long as needed - days even. I will have other questions for you too, such as how comfortable you are with using a computer and specifically map-type programs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Computer ok, never used map programs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They were throwing jpeg and a few other different ones out that I had never heard of. Download this file this way and convert to this and swap something else. Had me lost. LOL
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
OK - I only asked that one because BaseCamp is not the most "user friendly" program in the world. BUT it can be learned and there are a LOT of "tutorials" out there - both in written form and videos. Do videos work well for you? I only ask because I know everyone has a "best way" to learn new information.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Video is probably best, ***** ***** learn but handy to have hard copy for back up
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
The "good news" ... in a prior life (career) I was an instructor/trainer for some very complex technical stuff. The "hard part" of all this is pulling it together and applying it to your situation.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
More good news... I'm here almost every day to help.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I should've tried to get this info earlier as I'm out on my own Saturday. That's good news for me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So I can record the route tomorrow and get hold of u when I get back home? Say around 1600 cst?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
OK - if you have to be up at 5AM, it may be about time to sign off for you - is that correct? If so, just know that this CAN be done - one way or another. It may not be "perfect" (or excellent as I call it) by Saturday, but that OK.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
And yes, I should be here about 16ooCST
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes that would be great. Do I just come back to this site?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
I guess I should ask what type of computer you have. And yes, just save a bookmark or favorite in your browser (CTRL-D usually does that on most browsers), and use that to get right back here.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Then post a note saying you're back and we'll pick up the "fun" at that point.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm on my phone. But I got copy of conversation going to text and email, but I'll also save this to favorites.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Each email should also have a link right back here. And you WILL need a computer to install and use BaseCamp ... BUT there may be a way to use the track log display to mark and SAVE waypoints over the track. And that can be done on the device directly. Either way should work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a hp computer with windows10 upgrade done on it. It's easier for me to use phone as only got one hand. Typing is really slow to give u a heads up. I'm signing off and will get hold of u tomorrow afternoon. Thank you for the help thus far and ur patience.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
You're quite welcome and thanks for the heads up on the challenges you face. Catch ya tomorrow .. Have a good night's rest!Greg A.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi James.I just wanted to send along the link to the FIRST video (below), which shows the concepts of getting the trip log from the device and converting it to a "route".This video is a few years old (Dec. 2012) but most of it is still valid. BUT, I believe the "Create Route from Track" shown towards the end (with a right-click) is no longer there.Also, I'm sure it has been edited to take out the SLOW stuff - like get the maps from the device to the computer (that can take a while).NOTES:1. SOME of the functions shown in the video may not match your device exactly or be available in your device, so just keep that in mind.2. The PURPOSE of this video is to show the CONCEPTS of the track log and getting them onto a computer with BaseCamp. (don't try to actually do what is shown in this first video - just watch to get the concepts).3. There will be other more current videos later that show how to create a route from a track to a route that are more current.4. Try to watch ALL videos on a FULL SIZE computer screen (the bigger the better) and in FULL SCREEN mode.How to Use the Track Log on GPS & with BaseCamp (Basic)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DucIQZhm-gcHere is another video that shows how the "Trip planner" can be used to create a route. Again, this video's PURPOSE is to show the concepts and different ways to add "waypoints" to a route, how to save a route, etc. DIRECTLY on the device - as an alternative to using BaseCamp.Of particular interest is the way you can add a waypoint using the "browse the map" method. This could be used WHILE the track log is displayed on the map, to assist in adding the points in the correct order and sequence. Trip Planner/Creating a Route: Garmin Nuvi 2689/2789LMT & 2014 Advanced (GPS City).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2dh6VITgdM By the way, here are the steps for turning on and off the trip log from the display.==================To hide or show the Trip Log: (on the Drive 60 device)1) Touch Settings2) Touch Map & Vehicle3) Touch Map Layers4) Touch the box next to Trip Log to hide or display the log on the map screen5) Touch SaveRepeat steps as needed.================== Here is another video on a different model, explaining the concept of the track log and how to use it to display where you've been.Track Logs (aka Where I've Been) in the Garmin Dezl 760 RVhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvqni79K3oNow the next three videos are a bit longer but are VERY GOOD at explaining the use of BaseCamp in creating routes and working with tracks. One of them even shows putting a route on a device and demonstrating what happens when you call up that route.Garmin BaseCamp, How to create a route from a track (Very good & complete).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk06mnbRr_A Garmin Basecamp, How to work with tracks (good information).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93tp78uh7lc Garmin BaseCamp, How to create a route from scratch (very good & complete).Shows sending route to device and "importing" it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75KTv-dxB0 ==========================Now I KNOW this is a LOT of information - with lots of details - so please understand that it WILL take some TIME to absorb it and put it to use. So I recommend that you START with ONE SMALL ROUTE (say 25-30 stops or less) and EXPERIMENT with the Trip Planner (on the device) AND with BaseCamp - to see which one you're most comfortable with. Once you have worked with these methods for a while, it should become much easier to make a new route (or create one from a track).Also, I recommend that you NAME your routes that you can easily recognize, so you can select and start them once they are saved on the device. By the way, here is the link to where you can download BaseCamp onto your computer.Click Here --> http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp Let me know how it goes and if you get stuck somewhere.Thanks, ***** *****(im)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've got some family issues going right this second, should be taken care of by Sunday
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I meant to let u know earlier but was on road.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will check out videos asap
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
No worries at all - Family comes first. I'm here almost every day to help, so just let me know what you learn/find out when you get a chance to check out the videos. Take Good Care, Greg A.(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?That is, did you get a chance to take a look at some of the videos and try to apply those steps to your situation?I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will watch videos today. Been rather hectic here. Haven't forgotten
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
Hi again, I was just "checking up" to see how it was going. Please take your time, as I'm here almost every day to help. Thanks, ***** *****(im)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks brother. Wife sick so I try to do it when she's napping. With headphones of course. LOL 😁
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 months ago.
I FULLY understand that. My wife is also ailing a bit right now ... but "getting better".