Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

IO have just purchased a new map, when I try to install it

Customer Question

IO have just purchased a new map, when I try to install it from www, nothing happens
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the device you are working with?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) Has the device EVER been updated in the past (successfully)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
nuvi 1450
5 years
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still there ?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

OK - assuming the device is still in good shape (battery charges well, device operates with current maps, etc.), you should be able to download the maps using the current update program (tool) called Garmin Express. You can get that program at the following link.

There is even a video on that page that shows how to download, install and run the program, and how to attach and add your device via a USB cable.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

It is always a good idea to have the device FULLY CHARGED when starting any update process, as the battery is sometimes used to "reload" system software (just after an update).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have installed garmen express it recognises that a mapupdate is available it does not recognise that I have purchased an update
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Did you use the same email address when you registered the device originally AND when you installed Garmin Express?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

OK - so is Garmin express requesting that you purchase the update again (through the program)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

OK - I believe there have been issues between the "" site records and the Garmin Express program - since Garmin Express is relatively "new" - as a way to update the devices.

What I would recommend at this point is trying to contact a technical support person (via phone) and let them know what happened. This is to see if they can "transfer" your information from the records to the Garmin Express database. I have their contact information below.

Garmin Australasia

Australia Customer Support: 1800 235 822
Australia Fax Number: 02 8882 6150

New Zealand Customer Support: 0800 427 652
New Zealand Fax Number: 0800 427 646

NOTE: I also recommend having the device serial number available, and any confirmation or order number for the new maps.

Please let me know what you find - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-