Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I have a nuvi 1490T that I bought lifetime update support

Customer Question

I have a nuvi 1490T that I bought lifetime update support for. I now cannot get into the maps update area to update my GPS. It has been a year or two since I updated my device.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Are you getting a specific error when you try to get into the maps area? Or what happens?

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I get no error message. I was expecting a request for my password ***** begin the updating but I cannot get to that area.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok.. but your doing this via Garmin Express on your computer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's what I was trying to do. Have I forgotten some key word to get into the right update area? If so how do I get the keyword?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

It will prompt you to update if it finds updates for your device, what message do you get when you connect the Garmin to your computer and open Garmin Express?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not getting any message. I must be in the wrong area. All I get is offers to buy lifetime support again. I already have lifetime support, but cannot seem to contact the right area.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok, did you sign into Garmin Express again?

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried to accept your offer but now the message is to change my "my account page". I thought I did that when I tried to get to this assistance page. Obviously I'm lost.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Its usually a payment problem with your credit card.

Go to your Account page and reenter the credit card details please.