Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a garmin Oregon 450 t, I have loaded both a topo map

Customer Question

I have a garmin Oregon 450 t, I have loaded both a topo map and a the north american road map for the lower 49 states but it continues to tell me that i do not have routable roads in the area, how do i fix that?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What is the EXACT error message you are seeing?

2) Does the device show your CORRECT location on the map(s)?

3) WHEN this issue first began, and has this feature worked in the past?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Route calculation error: Maps do not have routable roads in this area. (It is not recognizing any maps i download from garmin2. Yes the location is correct because when i get close to a geocache it tells me how many feet away and it was correct. It just gives me the error when i try to map it.3. I have installed a couple maps on this gps and it has always worked up until a couple days ago when I was trying to delete some old geocaches off of it. I think I deleted something vital.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - can you tell me:

1) What tool was used to install the new maps?

2) Were the maps pre-installed on a microSD card, which was then installed in the unit?

3) Were ANY changes made to the "setup" screens in the device?

4) Do the STREET maps actually show on the display - if you zoom OUT far enough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) What tool was used to install the new maps?I used the Garmin website installer to download the maps on my gps2) Were the maps pre-installed on a microSD card, which was then installed in the unit?no they were not i downloaded them from the garmin website
3) Were ANY changes made to the "setup" screens in the device?Not that I know of, i reset to factory defaults
4) Do the STREET maps actually show on the display - if you zoom OUT far enough?no not at all, they don't even show up on the start up screen when the garmin is warming up, it usually flashes on the screen which maps are installed and none of them are doing that.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - let's see if you have ANY maps installed in the device.

From the main screen touch Setup, then Map, then Map Information.

Let me know EXACTLY what you see on that screen (you may have to scroll).

Also, let me know if you have ANY microSD card installed in the device.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the topo U.S. 100k. Yes I have an SD card. I know there is nothing on it because I have checked in the file directory.It says on the screen "enabled - TOPO U.S. 100k" and that is it. No other maps show, but when i hook the GPS to my computer and I look in the file directory i have more maps in that Garmin Folder
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - very good.

I believe the 100K topo map is what comes WITH the device, so that is good.

Do you KNOW the capacity of the microSD card?

Also, is that a "blank" card that you installed in the device?

As a lead-in, let me give you a link to a video that shows how a pre-loaded microSD card is installed and verified.

I say "lead-in" because I believe our objective will be to get the maps you DOWNLOADED (to your computer?) onto the SD card - so that they can be "seen" by the device and used.

Here is the video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ukR8pGzWg

Please watch that video a time or two, and I will see if I can find the steps needed to get the maps onto that card.

Let me know when you have watched that video and if you have any questions about it.

Also, let me know what type of computer you have (windows, mac, etc.).

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have watched it and it make sense on how to install it. I just need to know how you would put it on the SD card
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for coming back.

I believe you will use Garmin Express to not only install the maps on the SD card (while the card is installed in the device), but you can also use Garmin Express to update the device software - if needed.

Actually, I usually recommend that you make sure you have the latest version of the device software installed and working BEFORE attempting to install any maps (or updates).

Also, I did NOT see what size (capacity) of SD card you have installed, OR what type of computer you have, BUT can I assume that the computer CAN "see" the SD card - when installed in the device? NOTE: I believe the largest capacity SD card that can be used with this device is 16GB, but it could be lower (like 4 or 8GB).

Here is a link to where you can get Garmin Express for your computer. There is even a little video on that page that shows the basics of downloading, installing, and running Garmin Express.

NOTE: Please let me know IF and WHEN you have Garmin Express on your computer AND if the computer "sees" the device and SD card (when installed) BEFORE attempting to communicate with the device via Garmin Express.

This is important because of the registration request that often appears when you first connect your device through Garmin Express. If you have already registered the device, you will want to make sure you use the same registration information (such as email address) that was used when purchasing the maps that were downloaded.

http://www.garmin.com/express

Please let me know your progress.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used that it install the maps on my GPS, that is how I had already done it and it still won't see the maps.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - can you tell me the size of the memory card and what type of computer you are using?

Can you also tell me if there were ANY software updates there were done BEFORE the maps were installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 32GB memory card. All the updates were done before the maps were installed. I am using a Windows computer with Windows 8 on it
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay.

The 32GB card MAY be the issue, as I'm seeing some notes that a 16GB card may be the largest capacity this device can handle (successfully).

With that being the case, is there somewhere nearby where you can get a 16GB (or perhaps 8GB or 4GB) card that you can try?

I KNOW the local stores are "pushing" the larger capacity cards, so finding the smaller capacity ones can be a challenge, and would recommend "calling around" to make sure they actually have them in stock. Electronics & Office supply stores may be your best bet, and SOME major department stores might have them.

If you need a reference, I have a link to Amazon where you CAN find the 8GB microSD cards - for a good price.

8GB microSD card SEARCH results (Amazon)
http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k

NOTE: Try to stick with the "name brand" cards (such as SanDisk or Kingston), as this card NEEDS to be IN the device at all times and be RELIABLE!

Once you have the lower capacity card installed, try to reinstall the maps, and then check the Map Information screen to make sure they are actually there.

Please let me know what you find - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try a smaller one, only the bigger one has worked for the last couple years I have had it, until I deleted the Geocaches. I really believe I deleted something vital off of the GPS that is making it not work properly. I had both maps I was using installed on my current SD card and they worked properly until I deleted those Geocache files.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hmm ... interesting.

Did the update of the unit software happen, and did you SEE it happen?

Also, did you do a "master reset" on the device - since the other files were deleted?

Here is a video of how the Master Reset can be done, and what you should see during the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmU6Z-mpYM8

NOTE: You may want to REMOVE the SD Card from the device when the Master Reset is preformed. AND if you have a card reader for your computer, you may want to CHECK the total capacity of that card AND the amount of free space - to see if there may be some "hidden" files or folders.

Please let me know what happens when you try these things.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see the update happen, it just tells me every time I connect to Garmin Express the software is up to date. The reset I did before was a Factory Reset not the one you mentioned above. After I reset should I try to load my maps on again?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

If you have a SD card adapter in your computer - where you can CHECK for any files - I would actually check that to see if any space is being used.

Then do the Master Reset (with the card out), and see if the 100K maps are still there (usually stored in INTERNAL memory).

If you don't find the 24K maps or street maps with a card adapter on the computer, then I would definitely try to install the maps again. This assumes you are using a lower-capacity SD card (16GB or less).

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)