Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We are getting message "external power has been lost". Do we

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, we are getting message "external power has been lost". Do we have to buy new cable? Thanks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The GPS Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Is there anything else the GPS Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No, that's the message we get which ever car we plug GPS to. Thanks
JA: Our top GPS Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the GPS Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the GPS Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Can you please get me the Brand and Model of the GPS so I can look into this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Garmin nuvi3590LM. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. This message indicates there's no DC coming into the GPS from the micro USB port on the unit, and the first thing you would need to do is plug into another port in the vehicle (your 12 volt plug may have blown a fuse?). If you can confirm the car's jack is working properly then the next step is to purchase a new cable as these cables are prone to wearing out at the ends where they connect. You can purchase a new charge cord at the link below for your Garmin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1A-Car-Vehicle-Power-Charger-Adapter-For-Garmin-NUVI-3590LM-3590-250-40-40LM-/281801684854?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

This is the MOST likely cause of this problem, but without testing out a new cable first- there is no way anybody could be certain. The next possible cause is a faulty charge port or even a faulty battery in the Garmin- but this is much more rare and it's more likely that you simply have a bad 12 volt plug i the vehicle or a bad cable.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

You can also try using the current charge cable you have (if it has a detatchable USB plug at the 12 volt socket) and plugging it into your PC to see if the GPS will power up or if it still gives that same message. Troubelshooting it running through removing of variables to see what the root cause of the problem is.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.