Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I can't get the whole U.S. on my Garmin Nuvi 255 anymore

Customer Question

I can't get the whole U.S. on my Garmin Nuvi 255 anymore just the Upper northwest part of the U.S. since upgrading
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may have with your device?

May I ask if you receive ANY "warning" or "error" messages (on your computer) when you last updated the maps - especially about "limited space" on the device?

Also, have you installed a memory card in the device yet? If so, what is the capacity of that card?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I did not install a memory card or I probably wouldn't have this problem. I could get the whole US before why not now. the only warning was about to much data so it had me pick which region I wanted -
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Greg are you there.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay - this system can sometimes be slow in showing me your responses.

The "why" is because as Garmin updates their maps, they include more and more details, roads, points of interest, etc. - so the map files "grow" over time.

That is also the reason they designed in a memory card slot, so that as the maps grow OR if you want to install other files on the device (for devices that can also play music, view pictures, etc.).

So if you can tell me if this is "standard" size Nuvi 255 OR and "wide" display (Nuvi 255W), I can find out exactly what size memory card you can have installed - to allow you to have ALL the maps you might want or need.

If you can find and send back the Serial Number, I can usually look up the exact model.

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
reg. nuvi 1bv068650. Is it a garmin memory card. is there maps on there or will I have to install them. I guess I knew the answer before getting into this conversation was hoping for a miracle
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

OK - according to my notes, this particular unit can "safely" take UP TO an 8GB microSD card. Here is a reference you can look at for that.

Click Here

One thing about SD cards - currently MOST of the stores are selling 16GB (or HIGHER) capacity cards - and don't usually stock the smaller ones. So you may have trouble finding the lower cost 8GB and less memory cards, and 8GB should be PLENTY to hold the maps of the entire US and/or North America.

But these smaller capacity cards ARE still available online, at places like Amazon. I have a link below to a search I did for 8GB microSD cards.

8GB microSD card SEARCH
http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k

And yes, to get the maps on the card, the process is pretty much the SAME as you used for the last update, as the installation program will "see" the card once installed, and allow you to install ALL the map files you want to put on there.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if that works for you or if you have any other questions.

Thanks, *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks Greg for your help, I guess that's it then
I will only be charged $34 once for this meeting - correct - not a monthly charge
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

We experts can not see any bids or arrangement that were made for monthly charges, but I do believe you can check on your side of the system (using the "My Account" link), and manage any monthly arrangement that may have been made.

If this has answered your question(s) about your Nuvi, please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal), and that will credit me for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

If the issue has been resolved, please take a moment to rate my service - using the stars that should appear on your screen.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)