Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Have a 2&1/2 yr old deal 760LM,keeps beeping saying low batt

Customer Question

have a 2&1/2 yr old deal 760LM,keeps beeping saying low batt power,shuts down,comes back on&so forth. do Ineed a new batt.& if so where is it. it also says external power has been lost, which is not the case
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry go hear of any issue you may be having with your device.

May I ask:

1) Can you CONFIRM the Model of your device? I only ask because is looks like a small type may have been made.

2) Can you tell me WHEN this issue first began?

3) WHEN does this happen, (where connected to power, if vehicle is MOVING or not, etc.)

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
dezl 760LM s# ***** ,bought at best buy in muncie,in. about nov.2013,when connected,&setting still
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - there COULD be a "loose connection" - at either end of the power adapter or even the power socket you are connecting to.

May i ask if you have TRIED connecting in DIFFERENT power socket OR a different vehicle - to TEST this possibility?

Also, there is normally a fuse in the tip of the vehicle power adapter - and that could be loose also (bouncing around inside the tip). Can you check that tip quickly, and see if it has good "spring movement" - when pushing on it (does it move EASILY in and out)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you can't even tell me where the batt is or if it has a certain lifespan
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay - I had network issues.

I missed your question about the battery location, which is INSIDE the device. That means that the device will have to be taken apart (carefully) to replace the battery.

And lifespan really depends on how much the device is used (daily, weekly, etc.), and the environment it is used in (changes in temperature mostly).

ALL batteries have a limited number of charge and recharge "cycles" - and the batteries in these units are no different.

So if it was used every day (mostly) for a period of 2.5 years, then the battery itself could be the issue.

I found a replacement battery listed online, and have a link to it below.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with this seller at all, and you may be able to find the battery at other places online OR locally - such as at a "battery store". And SOME battery store places may also offer to replace the battery for you - either at no cost or a low fee.

http://gpssupplypro.com/products/garmin-dezl-760lmt-replacement-battery?variant=13015398279

I also have a link to a video that shows how the battery can be replaced on a SIMILAR device (same case style). You may want to take a look to see what is involved, if you want to try this yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-AaY0kNil0

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)