Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Can not get voice command

Customer Question

Can not get voice command
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) WHEN this issue first began?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Garmen Nubia 2556
Est. 10
4 months ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nuvi2555
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - I believe the Nuvi 2555 is a good model number, and I see that this appears to have started 4 months ago.

Can you also tell me the AGE of the device, and a little more detail about what does (or does not) happen related to the voice command?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eat. 10 yrs oldShe does not talk to tell me when to turn etc.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that extra detail.

OK - can you tell me if ANYTHING happened with the device - just about the same time that the voice directions stopped happening?

Also, do you have ANY sounds coming from the device at all - such as "beeps" when moving from one screen to another?

I assume you have the device nearby and can TEST some functions, but let me know if that is correct (or not).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have beeps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have unit
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

So did ANYTHING happen to the device just about the same time that the voice directions stopped happening?

For example, was the device "updated" for maps or such?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Do not use very much
I thought I pushed wrong button
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - if not used very much, can I assume that the battery was left to "discharge" to a pretty low state, where the unit had to be "charged up" for a while - for it to turn on?

If so, some of the "settings" (such as voice settings) could have been "reset" or lost when the battery gets very low.

Let me have you take a look at the "voice language" on your device, by looking at the following video and seeing what is available in the device.

Click here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3EeE0I_9PE

Please let me know what you see when you try this on YOUR device.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still do not have lady's voice
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Can you tell if you SAW more than one possible voice in the list?

If so, did you select a DIFFERENT (English) voice, and then try that?

NOTE: You will need to actually calculate a route and start it - to get the voice to say something (like "please drive to highlighted route").

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could not find setting to change voices
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - steps are:

1) Start at the MAIN Screen (Where To? & View Map showing).

2) Touch Settings (wrench icon)

3) Scroll down to see "Language & Keyboard" - then touch that item.

4) Touch "Voice Language" line (should be at the very top).

5) Scroll through list to see other voices (in English) and touch that language.

6) Press SAVE button.

That should do it.

NOTE: These first few steps are shown in the first 30 seconds or so of the video.

Let me know what you see when you try these steps.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I tap voice language, doesn't show any changes to be made
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

When you tap the voice language, do you have ANY voices shown on the list at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - that tells us that the voice files in the device may have been "lost" in memory (as mentioned above).

So can I assume that you do NOT have any "saved favorites" in the device - since it does not get used very often?

If so, we can TRY a "master reset" of the device - to see if we can have it "find" the voice files and restore them. If that does not work, there are other steps we can try too.

Let me know if you have any favorites you don't want to get rid of, and then I will send along the steps to do a reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wil I wipe out all my addresses?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Not ALL addresses - just the SAVE FAVORITES.

So do you HAVE ANY saved favorites - that you don't want to get rid of OR can not find again quickly?

If so, approximately HOW MANY saved favorites do you have stored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All are in recent
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - Recent will be cleared out too.

Approximately HOW MANY of those recent addresses do you have (in the recent list)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
32
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to save
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - would it be relatively easy for you to WRITE DOWN some of those addresses - so that they can be found again (after the reset)?

I know it may take a little time to do that, but I would assume that not all of those recent finds need to be saved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - let me know when you have written down all the addresses you want to get back.

Summary of what we will try AFTER that. This will all be done in an attempt to restore the voice files in the device.

1) Master Reset procedure.

1a) Check the "Voice Language" settings again - after reboot of the device - to see if the voice files have returned.

1b) If voice files HAVE returned, select one (in the voice language screen), and TEST (with an new route) - to see if "drive to highlighted route" can be heard.

If the reset does NOT restore the voice(s), we will need to "update" the device software & "reload" the voice files.

This will require attaching the device to the computer (via USB cable), and running a program.

So let me know when you have those addresses recorded, and we can proceed from there.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response from earlier, but wanted to send the following link that shows HOW to do a Master Reset on your device.

NOTE: This should be done when the device is DISCONNECTED from ANY power source and has a good level of charge.

Click Here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGtTyOt-Hw

Let me know if that reset actually takes place AND if the voice file(s) comes back (into the Voice Language screen) after the reset.

If not, we will need to reload the voice files, as mentioned above.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)