Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have bought 6 Garmin nuvi 55LM devices local (SW Oregon)

Customer Question

I have bought 6 Garmin nuvi 55LM devices for my local (SW Oregon) volunteer fire district. I need to know the procedure to add a searchable category, "Water Sources" to the Points of Interest so that a fire truck can display the nearest water source from where ever the fire engine is currently located and how far way they are. We have these sources in a map book in each truck but their respective distances are not available from the current fire location. Needless to say I would need to build a water source location table in Nuvi 55LM. Our area is mostly rural and very few hydrants exist so the water sources are randomly located ponds, lakes, ditches, creeks, and rivers. Your assistance would be very appreciated by ourselves and our clients who are literally burning up to see us get there quickly with lots of water.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

Hello Steve & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may be having in doing this project.

May I ask if you have ANYONE in the organization that is familiar with these devices AND some of the more "advanced" features (such as the ones you described - adding "points of interest" - POIs)?

OR - do you have someone in the group that has at least USED a Garmin Nuvi in the past, and understand what "favorites" are?

One other question about the water sources: Can you give me an APPROXIMATE count of those sources?

I know these may be unfamiliar terms to you, so that is why I'm asking.

Thanks