Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Need Help in Loading Barbados into my Garmin

Customer Question

Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue with your device.

May I ask:

1) the COMPLETE MODEL number of the device you are working with?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) What maps do you currently have on the device?

4) Have you tried to purchase the Barbados maps already?

5) Approximately WHEN do you plan to travel (for this Barbados trip)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Garmin is fairly old
At least 10 Years Old
North America & Mexico
Yes tried to purchase it but it wants a Password ***** I never received
Leave on a Flight at 1:00 AM
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - what is the MODEL of the device?

That should be printed on the device somewhere - usually the back or edge of the device.

And WHERE did you try to purchase the maps from?

And is that flight 1AM TOMORROW?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you will have to log onto my computer to be able to helps me
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see your call request but don't have a phone line available right now to do a call.

Can you try to respond to my last questions in the mean time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Garmin is marked as a nuvi
Yes Tomorrow
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - do you have a NUMBER after the NUVI name?

OR - can you find a Serial Number and send it back to me?

AND - WHERE did you attempt to purchase the maps from?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI I restarted it and the number is *****
I Think it was GPSTravelmaps.comGarmin does not have the Barbados information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way I do have the Garmin Express installed on the computer
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - if the maps were purchased from Travelmaps.com, they SHOULD have sent you any password ***** get into the download and how to install the maps.

Did you get ANY emails from Travelmaps.com?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not get any emailsthat is why I am confused but I did download the map
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - perhaps there was a typo in the entering of your email address on the GPSTravelMaps.com site, or something like that.

When you did the download, HOW did the map come to you? That is, was it a ZIP file, .exe file (executable), etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It Was a zip file and I unzipped it and there were 4 files
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - very good.

WHERE are you seeing the "password" request?

Is it anywhere with that set of files, or perhaps with some other program or website?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - one of the files is Barbados.exe -- which asks for the passwordMaybe you should get logged onto my computer o I can show you this stuff
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Unfortunately, I'm not set up to do computer "remote support" - to be able to connect to your computer and do this for you.

BUT, I did find the GPSTravelMap "support page" for how to put the maps on your device - using "BaseCamp".

Here is a link to that page --> http://www.gpstravelmaps.com/support/install-map-onto-garmin-gps.php

Also, I would check the OTHER files that were unzipped, and see if they are TEXT files and if they have any more information for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are text files -- If you like I can start a gotomeeting so that you can log onto my computer.Let me know if you want to
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

I also have a link to the FAQ page of GPSTravelMaps, where they mention the password ***** sent, and where it MAY have ended up.

http://www.gpstravelmaps.com/faq.php

NOTE: I have looked for a phone number for GPSTravelMaps, but have NOT found one yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked for a phone number as well without any luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a phone that I can dial as I do not get charged for North American calls
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - did you see the FAQ, where they mentioned that the password ***** have been emailed to you - and that it may have ended up in the spam (or junk) folder?

I also saw a note there about sending a note to the support folks - if you did NOT see that email.

And no - I have no phone available at all right now. May be several hours before one is available for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I guess you can not help me without phone contact and computer link.I am sorry but that is something that you should be able to do if you are an expert?Sorry I guess we will have to just hangup
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I don't think I could help any this case WITHOUT a phone contact with the GPSTravelMaps company.

And about all I could do with a computer connection is to SEARCH through your email "junk" or "spam" folders - to see if the email is in there.

BUT, let me ask if you have ANY other "confirmation" that the purchased was made, like some kind of printout that shows your order number OR the email you used?

OR - if you have the purchase screen still open, it may be there OR you could (carefully) use the BACK button in the browser - to see if you can find that information.

How about any of those options?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response from my last post, but wanted to mention that YOU could try checking through your spam folders - to see if you could find that missing email.

- OR -

Send a note (email) to the support folks at GPS Travel Maps and tell them about your order (as much as you can), and see if you can get them to send that email again.

- OR -

If absolutely necessary, you could order the maps AGAIN, EXCEPT do it VERY SLOWLY and VERIFY that the email you enter is correct and complete.

I mention this because these maps appear to be relatively inexpensive as maps go, and you would at least have them for the trip (assuming you can get them installed), and can look into a credit or refund after (or during) the trip.

Please let me know what you find or decide.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I suspect you MAY still be on your trip, so please get back to me when you can.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)