Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Nuvi 50LM. Began frequently doing something strange while

Customer Question

nuvi 50LM. Began frequently doing something strange while guiding me to a destination. I believe it happens when the screen is touched, though perhaps not every time. It goes into a mode wherein a green progress bar appears, and the only way to "fix" the issue is to turn the device off and on again. At that point, it may let me enter a destination again, but sometimes it just returns to green-bar mode. What's up.
I tried the Updater, but even though I installed USBDrivers_2311, it hung up, saying no USB device was found.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

We may need to simply reset the unit and update its software. Or, we may need to reset the unit, and force a firmware recovery.

This process can be tough to follow sometimes.. If you would prefer I can connect to your computer from here and go through these steps on screen, in person.

Would you like to try our secure remote support service?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm assuming that this would be at an extra cost. If so, then forget it, and I'll be asking for a refund of the service to date, as it wasn't very helpful. If on the other hand, the added work is included the original fee, I then become concerned about inviting someone into my computer, presumably with Administrative rights, as some kind of client software would probably be required.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, Today was one of 3 days I had scheduled away from work.

Connecting via remote support wasnt the only option, rather it was an option that many find to be of benefit that saves time and frustration.

Its possible we can resolve this issue via written communication instead. I read where you mentioned trying to run the web updater.

Im assuming you are using a windows PC, can you reply and verify whether its a windows vista, windows 7, 8 or 10 ?

Also, have you tried the garmin express program. Was it able to detect the device?