Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My nuvi 2699 LMT vehicle power cable does not work. When I

Customer Question

My nuvi 2699 LMT vehicle power cable does not work. When I plug it into the car the screen on the nuvi 2699 turns dark. Also when I plug it into my computer with a USB cable the screen turns dark.
When i use an AC adapter in an outlet the screen turns on but get the message DOES NOT WORK IN TRAFFIC
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The AGE of the device?

2) WHEN this issue first began?

3) How does the connection at the back of the "feel" - when these cables are connected? That is, does the connect feel "loose" at all?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
one year old about a week the connection feels normal not loose
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried 2 vehicle power cables. The light on the power cables were lit so the fuses were good.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can not understand why my nuvi screen stays on when I plug it into a wall outlet with an AC adapter
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Sorry for any delay.

OK - first, using the AC adapter and a different USB cable MAY work to keep the screen ON, but that USB cable does NOT have either an antenna or traffic receiver, so that is why the device might say "does not work with traffic".

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

I also suspect that the USB connector - at the back of the device MAY have some loose connections INSIDE the device, so there may be some "intermittent" connections when the vehicle cable is plugged in.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

So can you try a TEST for me - using the vehicle power adapter?

That TEST is to plug in the USB end of that cable to the device, and also HOLD GENTLE pressure on the power plug (at the device), in an UPWARD direction (and then the opposite direction)?

Please HOLD that pressure for AT LEAST 30 seconds, to see if the screen does stay on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What do I have to do to get my vehicle power cable to work with my nuvi 2699? Do I need to get a new GPS?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

It looks like our messages may have crossed.

Did you see my last post - about TESTING the connection at the back of the device?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tested by gently holdinng it with upward pressure and it worked. Thank you
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - that is what I suspected/feared. These units sometimes have a problem over time where the connections INSIDE the device become loose - and "intermittent". Take a look at the following page with a more DETAILED explanation - including some pictures of such damage.

Click Here --> http://www.sharc.net/gps_charger_repair.htm

In your case, I suspect the DATA pins of that connector are coming loose.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Now since you mentioned this unit is only a year old, you MAY be able to get the device repaired or replaced under the 1 year warranty that comes with all Garmin devices. Even if it slightly over a year old, it doesn't hurt to try to have the repair done for you. I have the Garmin contact information below, and suggest that you give them a call during their normal hours.

Garmin Customer Support
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM-6 PM,
Friday 8 AM-5 PM Central Time
(closed holidays)

Phone:
U.S.: 1(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####br />Canada: 1(###) ###-####/p>

I say all this because it MAY continue to work for you - for a while.

But with such a connection inside, it may NOT continue to work for you in a RELIABLE way.

NOTE: You could also have the device repaired "out of warranty" in most cases - for a "flat fee".

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

And if this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)