Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My 2495LM shuts itself off abruptly after turning on. It

Customer Question

My 2495LM shuts itself off abruptly after turning on. It shows the Garmin logo, tells me it's loading maps and then nothing. It doesn't matter if it's attached to my computer or a car charger. Is this a battery issue?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHEN was the device last used successfully?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) WHEN this issue first began?

4) HOW LONG have you left the device connected to power before trying to turn it on?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1) WHEN was the device last used successfully? about a month ago2) The AGE of the device? purchased early 20133) WHEN this issue first began? one day ago while trying to upload new maps4) HOW LONG have you left the device connected to power before trying to turn it on? 5-10 minutes
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Based on the AGE of the device and that is has not been (successfully) used for about a month, this COULD be a battery issue.

BUT, I would recommend that you connect the device to a HIGH CURRENT POWER source (such as the vehicle power adapter) and let the battery charge for AT LEAST ONE HOUR, and then try to power the device ON - to see if it will fully power up at that point.

NOTE: Using a USB port from a computer is LOW current, so double the time to charge if using a computer for power.

Please give that a try and let me know if that works for you.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will do! thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

You're quite welcome.

Let me know what happens, as if you still have trouble, the battery MAY need to be replaced (you can usually get them online for a good price).

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)