Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Garmin Zumo 650 error message indicating not enough disk

Customer Question

Garmin Zumo 650 error message indicating not enough disk space to download the map updates ans to install a San Disk for more storage. I have a huge San disk already installed? why cannot the map updates be down loaded to this
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you may have with your device.

May I ask:

1) Does your computer "see" the memory card - when it is installed in the Zumo?

2) What is the capacity and TYPE of memory card you are using?

3) What program are you using to attempt the update?

Thanks

(im)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
computer see the San disk as a removable disK E:
Lexmark 300x 16 GB
Using Garmin Express
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I cut back new map updates to a smaller region to fit on Garmin internal memory it downloads ok but still the messages says use a san disk to allow larger maps to be installed but Garmin Wxpress doesn't seem to recogniW the fact that a 16 Gig card is installed?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - if the computer can SEE the device AND the SD card (when installed), you should be able to "explore" the SD card - to see if there is ANYTHING stored on it.

Can you do that for me, and see if there are ANY files or folders on that card?

NOTE: You SHOULD see SEPARATE devices as removable storage - 1 for the Zumo and 1 for the memory card.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see both as removable storage and the San disk has file on it that i places there for several of my custom routes with waypoints created under basecamp
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - were those places put on the card WHEN it was in the Zumo, or did you use a card reader/writer of some kind to put those items there?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cars was brand new and purchased just for the zumo. Files wer placed there using Garnin Base camp only
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

What I'm asking (and not clear on) is IF the memory card was written to (by basecamp) WHEN it was in the Zumo, or was it installed somewhere else (directly in a computer, attached to computer via a "reader", etc.).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No only ever in the Zumo and written to it via Basecamp never another device or other writer
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

OK - very good.

So let's turn to the computer and Garmin Express.

Did you install the LATEST version of Garmin Express on your computer?

And, did you try the "reinstall maps" or "Change region" options of that program - to see if you could install a different region - AFTER the memory card was install?

Also, have you shut down and rebooted the computer SINCE the last run of Garmin Express and installing the memory card?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok just checked and I'm two patches behind on Garmin express I will try that first.I've had disk for two years and lots or reboots on computer but will update Wxpress and reboot again then retry..... Tried but express gets 90 % through the download then fails and no error indication? Retried 3 times with same outcome
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - I'm unclear about what is happening or what has happened.

When you say the download "gets to 90%", is that the download of the Garmin Express program?

OR is it the download of the map updates?

Also, what type of computer are you working with (Windows, Mac, etc.)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Windows computer and tried to down load the latest version of Express but continues to fail at 90% complete. Just went o express to redownload a fresh updates copy of express
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Lots of errors now I need to leave for a while
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay - I got disconnected for a bit.

OK - step 1 will be to get a SUCCESSFUL download and install of the latest Garmin Express program.

BUT since you may be having trouble accessing the internet OR the Garmin Express download site (their "servers"), you may want to WAIT a little while (a couple of hours) and see if the connection clears up - and allows you to download successfully.

I'll be here for another few hours, and then on & off for the rest of evening, and then back again tomorrow.

Please let me know what happens when you try again doing the download - and details of any errors you might see.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A virus was downloaded along with the updated Garnin Express my laptop has been totally corrupted . I think I want to terminate this assistance as this route has put me in a very bad state. It will takes me days or weeks to recover my files if ever. my laptop was essentially wiped clean by the virus www.searching.com which was attached to the Garmin express while it downloaded
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I would hope that you went DIRECTLY to the Garmin site for getting Garmin Express (full link below), and NOT using a search result of some kind. I always recommend going DIRECTLY to a site when wanting to get software downloaded or installed.

http://www.garmin.com/express

I usually recommend having so kind of antivirus tool running also, just in case some "look-alike site" slips by.

As a note: If you have access to a DIFFERENT computer, you should be able to use the direct link above to get Garmin Express installed and be able to update your device maps.

BUT, I would recommend at least SCANNING the SD card FIRST, as there is a remote possibility that parts of any virus may be there too.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Greg,....But we did not finish the question? I'm getting my laptop disinfected but will be a week before i get it back for us to continue on with the question / resolution.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

If you received some kind of "reminder note" - it was from the system here.

Please take as much time as you need - and then let me know what happens when you get a chance to load the REAL Garmin Express program on your computer. Just make sure you use the DIRECT link I gave you above, and that should work for you.

I will look for your results in a few days. But please know that the system here MAY send out other reminder notes.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thx,...i will let you know when we can resume
Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Very good. I'm here almost every day and will wait for your note back.