Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

In the UK
, Yes I have a BMW mottorad Navigator IV this

Customer Question

Customer: hi ***** ***** in the UK
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes I have a BMW mottorad Navigator IV this is a Garmin Zumo type unit I think, a 550
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to GPS Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm trying to update the to the latest European maps (2016) but the process fails because OK that sounds fine, mind if I carry on typing up the nature of the problem?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What map files will work on a Garmin device, depends upon (among some other things)

- their source

- their file-type and thus compatibility with the Garmin (in this case) Zumo 550

- whether they are regularly purchased and registered for usage (see 'their source' above, also.)

- whether the device's memory is full

- whether the device's firmware is corrupted or out of order or the device is not functioning properly and fully otherwise owing to any number of faults in the device.

Let me know which of these problems might be the cause, and also tell me what the whole problem *is*, and I will advise you further as appropriate.

(If the firmware is corrupted or might be, then the device's firmware should be updated through Garmin Express, or similarly directly from Garmin without intermediary or substitution... and a computer to do the updating might well be necessary.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I'm only giving you 2 stars. The answer was very straightforward. I called GARMIN on their support line (11 mins wait), they immediately asked me to check the version of the GARMIN express application on my MAC. (this is the software app on your computer for downloading and updating maps and firmware) It was 2 versions older than current. I downloaded and installed the latest version of Garmin Express to my MAC and hey presto, it was able to download the 2016 maps and write them to the micro SD card in my device which it could now see and my mapping is now up to date. I give you and pass on this advice absolutely free it will help you I'm sure in future. Now, please speak to your line manager and ask him to refund my £25 which is double the $18 dollars I was told your advice would cost
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I did provide the answer - that Garmin Express was a point of concern. I do know all that, thanks.

I couldn't be sure that Garmin Express was a point of concern, owing to the vagueness of your initial question, but it often is, so I mentioned it.

As for a refund... as a JustAnswer.com Expert I have no power over the issuing of refunds, the setting of prices, etc.

For all issues of billing, payment, subscription terms and status, etc., I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, which may be contacted through:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

They will no doubt address your concern, if you contact them, with reasonable promptness.