Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. GPS Expert.
23511658

I have a Whistle brand (formerly Tagg) GPS pet tracker. The

Customer Question

I have a Whistle brand (formerly Tagg) GPS pet tracker. The device requires cell service (Verizon) to locate a pet. I live in a rural area and have used this system for over a year to track my dog's daily runs through the woods. Two days ago it let me know that my dog had left the "home zone" and showed her location as usual. Shortly after, the system was no longer able to locate her and she has been missing since. The device still shows remaining battery power at 65%. I spoke with a rep from the company who confirmed the device was still powered on and "communicating" but was of little help otherwise. I am desperate to locate my dog before the collar powers off...even if it is just to recover her body. When refreshing the gps within the app, it reads "We are having difficulty locating..." The only thing I can think of is perhaps she is in a valley/ravine that verizon can't reach. My question being, are there any alternative ways to locate the gps device? Is there something that would pick up the signal if I was closer to it (I have been walking the area of her last known location). What about a booster to improve the cellular signal? Any ideas at all? Thank you for any help you can offer.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

They DO have the ability to triangulate the position based on cell towers. At least it is technically possible. I don't know what you would need to do it however - possibly a court order. It believe it would go through the local police station. Since it's used both in criminal cases and search and rescue. It is an alternative to GPS that will work as long as the transponder is turned on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When you say they do have the ability, who are you referring to? Whistle company? The police dept.? Are you saying they could pick up the signal/location even though Verizon wireless can't?

Verizon could but they have no way to do it (of which I am aware) or they cannot do it without a court order. That's why I suggest going to the police department. They have the capability to do this to find criminals and missing persons. Time is of the essence. Go to the police department.