Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I updated my garmin dezl760 and now it comes on and goes

Customer Question

I updated my garmin dezl760 and now it comes on and goes back off. it will not stay on or load anything.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) Is this the FIRST time you have updated the device?

2) Did you see ANY "warning" messages during the update?
3) The AGE of the device?
4) WHEN this issue first began?

Thanks

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 yes
2 no
3 3 years old
4 right after I finished updating
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Sorry for any delay.

May I ask if the update seemed to go well?

And, was the device "removed safely" from the computer - at the very end of the process?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - have you tried a "hard reset" of the device yet?

If so, did you see the screen that asks if you want to "erase user data"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It want stay on long enough to do anything, it comes on a then goes off. It was working fine before the update
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - can you power OFF the device - so that it stays off?

That is, can you press and HOLD the power button - so that you get a prompt asking if you want to turn the device OFF?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I push the power button it comes on and goes right back off.
It's plugged in and everything
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Does that happen if you push and HOLD (and keep holding) the power button?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Also, what is the device plugged into?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cigarette lighter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the same thing when it's plugged in the computer
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - let's try it a different way - which is when it is NOT connected to anything.

So please disconnect the device from ANY connection (take it off the mount if needed), and then press and HOLD the power button - for at least 10 seconds - and let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Comes on and goes back off
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - let have you TRY the hard reset - to see if you can get the message to appear about clearing the user data.

This MUST be done with the device disconnected from any connection.

Here is link to a video that shows how this is done.

Click Here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9DGc4g6tY

Please watch the ENTIRE video (with sound) and then try these steps on your device.

Let me know EXACTLY what you see when you try.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that and it still comes on and goes right back off
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

So what did you SEE and do?

Did you see that pop-up asking to clear the data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep when I hit yes it went off and still doing the same thing
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hmm - that is not good.

May I ask if you have installed a microSD card in the device yet?

If so, what is the capacity of that card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was fine until I updated it
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

OK - can you reconnect the device to the computer (with power off) and tell me if the device screen comes on AND the device can be "seen" by the computer (as a "storage device")?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes on and goes back off.
The computer does not detect the device. Computer says not connected
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - I'm starting to wonder about the state of the battery - and if perhaps it is wearing out (that does happen over a few years).

So may I ask if you normally operated the device ONLY on battery power - for any length of time - before the update?

And can if so, can you give me a rough estimate as to how long the battery would last - when not connected to power?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No never just use it on battery.
Always plugged in
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - then this definitely could be a "battery issue".

To confirm, may I ask if the device USED TO "count down" before powering off - when the ignition in the vehicle was turned off (or power removed from the vehicle adapter)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - then this indeed could be a battery issue - even though it was connected to power for most of its life.

So I have some steps we can use to TRY to get the battery to charge up ENOUGH to at least power up successfully.

Take the device indoors and plug it into your computer with the USB cable that was provided (or other USB cable) and leave it plugged in for AT LEAST two hours.

Also, make sure the computer is ON, and not have any power saving mode enabled - so that the power from the USB port does not turn off (some computers do that - especially laptop computers).

Then unplug it from the computer to see if the device stays powered on and takes a charge.

What we are doing here is TESTING to see if the battery will take a slow charge - and retain that charge long enough to power up completely - and finish booting up.

I know this will take a while, but please let me know what happens after that 2 hours.

In the mean time, I will see if I can find a replacement battery kit for you - as I suspect the battery will need to be replaced.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome.

I have been looking for an EXACT battery replacement, but have only found a more "generic DEZL series" battery listed. Here is an example of the search results from Amazon.

Garmin dezl battery (search results)
http://amzn.to/1RuAIHf

But I noticed that almost all of those listing mention the smaller 560 model - which is similar to the Nuvi line of devices.

These batteries MAY "fit", but will most likely have a lower capacity than your internal battery. But if you keep it plugged in most of the time, that really shouldn't too much.

If it was ME, I would try to find a local "battery store", and see if they have (or can get) a better matched battery for you, and at the same time do the actual replacement of the battery (many battery stores do that).

A new battery will also need to be charged up for a couple hours (at least), so be prepared to do that.

Please let me know how the long charge cycle goes, or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)