Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I purchase numaps lifetime north America .99 I downloaned

Customer Question

I purchase numaps lifetime north America for 89.99 I downloaned the maps now when I try to put a andress in for Canada it won,t let me into Canada what am I doing wrong thankyou jim
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) When you ran the map update program, did it seem to go well (no errors or warnings)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nuvi.360na seial number 16l633291 and it is over 10 years
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

3) When you ran the map update program (I'm assuming Garmin Express), did you see ANY ERRORS or WARNINGS - especially about MEMORY SPACE?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it shows on map info a checkmark for north America nt 2016,10 not that I notice but it also shows lower49 states nw
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

OK - very good.

The Lower 49 states NW tells us that ONLY certain states (in the US) were loaded.

That usually means that you have LIMITED MEMORY space in the device, so only a certain REGION was loaded into the device.

So may I now ask if you have installed an SD card in the device yet - to hold the map updates?

Also, what part of Canada do you want to travel around - in the next few weeks/months?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
first of all I have downloaded the maps of the states for the last 6 yrs. and had no trouble. I go to Calgary a lot and there some address I try to put in and it won.t accept. and also other places. in Canada.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I understand.

Remember, I'm only trying to help you to find out what is happening.

OK - if you see the "Lower 49 states NW" on your Map Info screen (that what it sounds like to me), and that is the ONLY map listed (with a check mark), then that tells us that ONLY the NW portion of the US states are installed.

Also, as new maps are released, the GROW LARGER in size. So what USED TO FIT into the memory of your device may NOT fit now.

So may I ask if you have installed an SD card in your device yet?

And if so, what is the capacity of that card?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no I don,t . is there a way to delete the lower 49 state nw but on my screen it shows with a check mark north america
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

The way I recommend that you get the maps you want/need, it to:

1) FIRST get an SD card to install in the device, so that you will have more space to hold the larger size map files.

2) Then run the Garmin Express program again, except this time use the "Reinstall/Change Regions" option - to install the region you need the most.

As a reference, I have a link to a page on the Garmin site that shows the "regions" that are defined, and what States and Provinces that are covered for each region.

Click here --> https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={80e6d330-f2e0-11dd-f45b-000000000000}

From what you have stated, it sounds like you want to install the "WEST" region.

Now you can TRY the reinstall WITHOUT getting an SD card, but it still may not fit.

Another NOTE: This is a relatively old device, and the software inside can only access a file that is a MAXIMUM size of 2GB, so if you do decide to get an SD card, try to get the smallest capacity that is 2GB or so, to save on the cost of the card.

Here is a reference article from the Garmin site that mentions the limits of certain models - at the bottom of the article.

Click here --> http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={18331ce0-4af6-11e3-f27b-000000000000}

Another Note: SMALL capacity SD cards can be hard to find these days, and perhaps your best shot at finding one LOCALLY would be a camera shop (SD cards are still more commonly used in cameras).

I hope this helps explain what is happening. Please let me know how that map reinstall goes, or if you have any more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)