Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Garmin Nuvi 465 LMT GPS, and it keeps turning on

Customer Question

I have a Garmin Nuvi 465 LMT GPS, and it keeps turning on and off , why does it keep
doing this?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The AGE of the device?

2) WHEN this issue first began?

3) HOW LONG does the device stay ON - before switching off?

4) Does it switch back ON - by itself?

5) Is it connected to vehicle power when this happens?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its about two years old, it started doing this about a month ago,it stays on a couple of minutes or less, yes it does switch on by itself and yes it is plugged into vehicle power
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Those symptoms sound like the battery may becoming "weak" and is wearing out. OR there could be a loose connection at the power connection.

May I ask if you can SEE the "battery indicator" when you connect the device in the vehicle, and if so, does it have a "charge" indicator showing (looks like a lightning bolt)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The battery indicator shows its fully charged, no lightning bolt though
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hmmm - that's interesting. Normally there is a lightning bolt showing - WHEN power is applied.

Is the vehicle ignition switched ON - OR - have you tried a DIFFERENT vehicle power socket - OR - TESTED the current power socket the adapter is plugged into?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

NOTE: There should also be a FUSE in the tip of the vehicle power adapter. Has that been checked or replaced yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The vehicle ignition is on,only one power adapter in truck, did not test the current power in company truck,but is working.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

OK - what about the fuse - in the tip of the adapter?

Has that been checked yet?

And do you have a DIFFERENT vehicle - even a car or friend's car - you can connect the power to - as a TEST?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does it mean that the maps need to be updated?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Maybe I missed a note back from you, but having the power to switch ON and OFF should have nothing to do with the maps - or if they need to be updated.

If that was the case, you would typically see a "message screen" on the device - saying that the maps are "old" - usually at about 6-12 months from the last update.

So can you tell me if you can find and check the fuse - in the tip of the vehicle adapter?

That is my concern right now, as you are NOT seeing the CHARGE indicator - when connected in the vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is that the silver tip of the adaptor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can not check in the tip itself
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

I have attached an image of where the fuse should be located, and how to get it out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
cannot unscrew round piece, its all one piece from Garmin.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hmmm - that's interesting.

Can you see a "grove" or "slot" (or maybe holes) - if looking at the tip of the adapter directly?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Please take a look at the following video - that shows how some of these newer vehicle adapters have the tip & fuse.

CLICK LINK BELOW for Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuT4JURXKM0

Please let me know if that is the same plug you have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

OK - that video SHOULD show you how to get it open and check (or just change) the fuse.

Then you could TEST to see if that adapter now works to power the device - when connected to a TESTED and working (energized) power socket.

NOTE: There MAY be a "power LED" on that adapter, as shown in the video, and that LED SHOULD glow BRIGHTLY when connected in an active power socket.

Please let me know if you can do that TEST.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, fuse is out and is all white
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Is it a GLASS fuse - that SHOULD be CLEAR?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
not clear, all white,dose this mean I just have a bad fuse
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Can you find ANY markings on the fuse?

OR - do you have some way to TEST it (with multi-meter or such)?

And does it LOOK LIKE it SHOULD be CLEAR?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
looks like T1AH250VP
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a way to TEST the fuse?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
looks like a glass tube with a white coating over it
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

OK - if that is the case, I would recommend visiting an auto parts store or perhaps a hardware or electronics store, and get a pack of 1 Amp Fast Blow fuses (they usually come in 4 or 5 packs), and put a NEW one in place of that one (which MAY be blown), and then TEST by first connecting the adapter to an active power socket (make sure the LED comes ON), and then connect the other end of the adapter to the device itself, then look for that CHARGE indicator (lightning bolt).

By the way, multi-pack fuses of this type are pretty inexpensive - generally only about $2-$3.

Please let me know what you find when you do that and TEST.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

(im)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

You're quite welcome.

Please let me know what happens or if you have any more questions.

And our question thread will stay open and we can continue to communicate here, even after you have rated my service level - at no extra charge.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)