Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Nuvi 2589lmt places a black bar with school zone alert

Customer Question

Nuvi 2589lmt places a black bar with school zone alert across the top of the display making it impossible to view cross-street names in that zone. How can I fix this?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue with your device.

This particular model DOES have a school zone "alert" feature, which is designed to keep you and the children in the area SAFE - usually during school hours (if known), and assuming that the school data is included in the map data files (which it is for whatever school you are near at the time).

If you are NOT in a school zone, then perhaps your map files need to be updated to reflect that type of change - such as a school that has recently closed (recent being since your device was made).

NOTE: At present, there is no facility to "disable" the school zone alerts. I would think this is for SAFETY reasons. I would also assume that is you are doing slow enough in such a zone, you would be able to see the cross-street names on the actual street signs in the area.

Reference the following article:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={360bd510-1a39-11e3-f27b-000000000000}

I hope this helps explain what is happening with the device. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)