Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My 510 says its missing software
, it is on the screen

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, my 510 says its missing software
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it is on the screen says "software missing" above the GARMIN logo
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to GPS Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To clarify , is this a garmin edge 510 you are working with. One of the Biking Gps devices?

And also, can you clarify if the message you are getting says " system software missing" or " maps missing"

Thank you for your response, and Merry Christmas!

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a biking gps device just says "software missing"
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

thank you. Lets try this as a first step, it may not be the only step we have to do, but it could be.

Heres how to perform a master reset.

To perform a master reset:

1. Power device off
  2. Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop
  3. Power device on while still holding both buttons
  4. Continue holding buttons when Garmin "splash" screen appears
  5. Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears

The reset is successful if, once powered up, the device proceeds into the initial setup wizard. Once the reset and setup wizard are complete, place the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.

Let me know if this works, and if not. We will need to go through a much more in depth process of manually correcting the firmware for the device.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will give it a try...
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Take your time, and if you run into any issues, let me know~

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its out in the back yard....
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thats a good place for it, as after the reset it needs to re-acquire the satellite signal. ( And a clear view of the sky helps)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still not working
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.. Then the only options we have left are to bring the unit inside, connect it to a windows computer.

And then force a firmware cure and update..

Or, send it into garmin for repair. Do you have a windows computer, and about 1.5 hours of time now? Or would you like to pick this back up later?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have windows computer and have some time...lets do this
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, Ive just signed into work for the day and seen your reply.

Ok, this is going to be a multi part process.

First we need to download the RGN cure file.. You can get it here. http://bel.garmin.com/Downloads/UnitSoft/Edge510/edge510.zip

after downloaded remember the location of that file. But dont do anything with it..

Now, we need to connect the Edge to the computer.. Start with the edge off.. Now hold down the Lap button and while you are holding the lap button, only then connect the usb to the computer.

Once connected, open the file you downloaded.. Inside it, drag and drop the RGN file onto the updater exe program.

It should launch a simple program , select your gamin usb device inside the program and click ok t o update it.

Once the update is complete.. We must run the web updater next.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Once you have downloaded, installed and ran the web updater and it has updated your Edge.. It should be ready to use again.

This is a tough process to complete, but will work. So if you encounter and issues or run into difficulties, or even if this does work. Please send a reply when you can and let me know.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will do a bit later today...
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem, I will be online till later this evening..

Keep me posted when you can~

D.S